Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes those who use manual and artistic skills to design and make ornamental objects, pottery, stained glass, jewellery, rugs, blankets, other handicrafts and artistic floral arrangements. Makers of stringed musical instruments are also included in this unit group. Most craftspersons are self-employed. Artistic floral arrangers are usually employed in florist shops and floral departments of retail establishments or may be self-employed. Craft instructors are also included in this unit group and are employed by artisan guilds, colleges, private studios and recreational organizations.
artisan, artistic floral arranger, carver, craft instructor (except education), craftsperson, glass blower, leather worker, metal arts worker, potter, silversmith, stained glass artist, stringed instrument maker, totem pole carver, weaver – arts and crafts.
- Carvers use hand tools and woodworking machines to produce carvings from wood, stone and other materials and to carve ornamental designs into wooden furniture and other objects.
- Glass blowers design and create glass objects using blowpipes and artisan's hand tools and equipment.
- Metal arts workers design metal jewellery, utensils, implements, wall hangings and other objects and create them from gold, silver, copper, pewter and other metals.
- Potters design ornamental and ceramic functional earthenware pieces and create them using clay, moulds, potter's wheels and other equipment, glazing materials and kilns.
- Stained glass artists design stained glass windows, lampshades and other objects and cut, paint, fire and assemble pieces of stained glass to create such products.
- Stringed instrument makers construct stringed instruments applying their knowledge of wood, ebonite, metal properties and other materials and instrument design using hand and power tools.
- Weavers use hands or loom to interlace strips of flexible material such as wool, cotton, silk, grasses, bark and rawhide to make baskets, wreaths, wall hangings, clothing, rugs, blankets and other objects.
- Craft instructors prepare craftmaking lessons, gather the required working materials and demonstrate and teach craftmaking techniques.
- Artistic floral arrangers design bouquets, corsages, sprays, wreaths and other floral arrangements and select natural and artificial flowers, foliage and decorative accessories to create arrangements or other floral items to suit customers' requirements.
Toronto, Brampton, Mississauga, Oshawa, Vaughan, Ajax, Aurora, Beaverton, Bowmanville, Caledon, Cannington, East Gwillimbury, Halton Hills, King City, Markham, Milton, Newmarket, Oakville, Pickering, Port Perry, Richmond Hill, Whitby, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Acton, Algonquin Island, Bolton, Briars Park, Brooklin, Caledon East, Centre Island, Delrex, Dorset Park, Franklin Beach, Gaud Corners, Georgetown, Glen Williams, Jacksons Point, Marywood Meadows, Mono Road, Mossington Park, Newcastle, Nobleton, Norval, Orono, Port Darlington, Stouffville, Sutton, Toronto Islands, Uxbridge, Ward's Island, Wildwood, Wilmot Creek
Outlook & Prospects for Artisans and Craftspersons in Toronto Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- The Toronto International Film Festival Recruitment Fair will take place on June 20, 23 and 28, 2013, at the TIFF Bell Lightbox, Reitman Square, Toronto
Week of Mar 25 – Mar 29, 2013
- Empire Theatres Limited closed its Empress Walk movie cinema in North York, affecting 20 to 25 staff
Week of Feb 11 – Feb 15, 2013
- Woodbine Entertainment Group announced it will lay off 109 employees from its Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto and Mohawk Racetrack in Campbellville
Week of Sep 24 – Sep 28, 2012
- GoodLife Fitness Centres Inc. opened two new locations in Mississauga and Newmarket, and plans to open new fitness centres in downtown Toronto, Markham and Scarborough later this fall
- Date Modified: