Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in mechanical engineering fields such as the design, development, maintenance and testing of machines, components, tools, heating and ventilating systems, power generation and power conversion plants, manufacturing plants and equipment. They are employed by consulting engineering, manufacturing and processing companies, institutions and government departments.
HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) technologist, aeronautical technologist, heating designer, machine designer, marine engineering technologist, mechanical engineering technician, mechanical engineering technologist, mechanical technologist, mould designer, thermal station technician, tool and die designer, tool designer.
- Prepare and interpret conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings, and specifications for machines and components, power transmission systems, process piping, heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems
- Prepare cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Conduct tests and analyses of machines, components and materials to determine their performance, strength, response to stress and other characteristics
- Design moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Inspect mechanical installations and construction
- Prepare contract and tender documents
- Supervise, monitor and inspect mechanical installations and construction projects
- Prepare standards and schedules and supervise mechanical maintenance programs or operations of mechanical plants.
- Assist in preparing conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings and specifications
- Carry out a limited range of mechanical tests and analyses of machines, components and materials
- Assist in the design of moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Assist in inspection of mechanical installations and construction projects
- Participate in the installation, repair and maintenance of machinery and equipment.
Toronto, Brampton, Mississauga, Oshawa, Vaughan, Ajax, Aurora, Beaverton, Bowmanville, Caledon, Cannington, East Gwillimbury, Halton Hills, King City, Markham, Milton, Newmarket, Oakville, Pickering, Port Perry, Richmond Hill, Whitby, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Acton, Algonquin Island, Bolton, Briars Park, Brooklin, Caledon East, Centre Island, Delrex, Dorset Park, Franklin Beach, Gaud Corners, Georgetown, Glen Williams, Jacksons Point, Marywood Meadows, Mono Road, Mossington Park, Newcastle, Nobleton, Norval, Orono, Port Darlington, Stouffville, Sutton, Toronto Islands, Uxbridge, Ward's Island, Wildwood, Wilmot Creek
Outlook & Prospects for Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians in Toronto Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Caterpillar Inc. announced that it will close its Toronto tunnel-boring machine facility by mid-April 2014, which will lead to 330 people being out of work
- The Scarborough Hospital’s latest proposed cuts will include palliative care beds and a diabetes education centre. It is also proceeding with plans to eliminate 198 positions, including nurses.
- The Toronto District School Board plans on reducing staff and using fewer skilled tradespeople in order to save $5M for the 2013-2014 budget
- The Nursing and Health Care Job Expo will be held at the Quality Hotel, Oshawa, on May 22, 2013 (11 a.m. to 6 p.m.). Admission is free.
- The Canada Job Expo will be held at the North York Civic Centre on May 28, 2013
- The Hire Canada Job Fair and Training Expo will be held at the Pearson Convention Centre, Brampton, on June 19, 2013
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The Canadian Jewish News will stop publishing in June affecting 50 employees in Toronto and Montreal
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Hudson's Bay Company will open an outlet store at the Premium Outlet mall in Halton Hills this summer
- The Scarborough Hospital eliminated 98 positions as part of a cost-savings plan. The Hospital expects to cut additional positions to help meet budget targets.
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Nordstrom Inc. announced that it will open a second location in Toronto in the fall of 2016 at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre. The Centre will also undergo a $331M expansion starting in January 2014.
- Construction will start on the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit tunnel in Toronto in May. The transit line will be 19km long and is expected to be in service by 2020.
- Colibri Technologies Inc. will receive up to $900,000 through the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario for product development. The company expects to create as many as 17 full-time jobs in Toronto with an additional 130 jobs by 2016.
- ThoughtWire, a Toronto-based software company, will receive up to $955,000 through the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario for product development. The company is expected to create 29 new jobs.
- Sentient Magnetics Inc. received funding through the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario for product development, creating up to 19 full-time positions in Schomberg, with an additional six jobs by 2017
- Canadian National Railways will convert an existing warehouse in Brampton to an office building. The project is expected to cost $8.3M and the new facility will accommodate up to 300 staff.
- The Retail Council of Canada, in partnership with the City of Toronto, will host the Retail Job Fair on April 30, 2013 at the Toronto Reference Library
- Date Modified: