Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes prepress technicians who operate various computer controlled systems to perform prepress activities and workers who operate graphic arts cameras and scanners, assemble film and negatives and prepare, engrave and etch printing plates or cylinders for various types of printing presses. They are employed in firms that specialize in colour graphics or platemaking and cylinder preparation, commercial publishing and printing companies, newspapers, magazines, and in various establishments in the public and private sectors that have in-house printing departments.
camera operator – graphic arts, cylinder preparer – printing, dot etcher, film stripper-assembler, platemaker, printing plate engraver, proofmaker, scanner operator, screenmaker, studio-image-processing system operator.
- Graphic arts camera operators set up and adjust black and white or colour separation process cameras to convert graphic art and photographs into film for assembly and exposure onto printing plates or cylinders.
- Cylinder preparers grind and polish press cylinders; expose and lay down carbon tissue; and etch or engrave cylinders using hand tools, etching machines, photogravure or laser processes to produce cylinders for gravure presses.
- Film strippers and assemblers assemble and position, either using automated equipment or by hand, pieces of film containing all parts of a printing job to produce flats or composite negatives for preparing printing plates or cylinders.
- Platemakers operate vacuum frames, plate processors and step and repeat machines to produce printing plates for various types of presses.
- Prepress technicians operate various computer-controlled studio systems to perform colour separation, retouching and editing that allow changes to be made to a colour negative for printing purposes, plan page layouts and electronically alter shape, size and positions of illustrations and text.
- Scanner operators operate computerized scanning machines or digital cameras to make colour separations and corrections from colour copy or transparencies for use in preparing film, digital files, printing plates or cylinders.
- Proofmakers operate computerized equipment to prepare film, laser or dylux proofs for quality control purposes or for customers' review.
Ottawa, Gloucester, Nepean, Brockville, Cornwall, Vanier, Carleton Place, Clarence-Rockland, Gananoque, Hawkesbury, Mississippi Mills, Perth, Prescott, Smiths Falls, Bourget, Buckham's Bay, Clarence, Constance Bay, Embrun, Hazeldean, Kars, Old Stittsville, Richmond, Rockland, Rockland East, Russell, South March, South March Station, Stittsville, St-Onge
Outlook & Prospects for Camera, Platemaking and Other Prepress Occupations in Ottawa Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- A new Walmart Supercentre will open January 2015 in Cornwall on Cumberland St., replacing the existing location on Brookdale Avenue
- Olymel, a processor and distributor of pork and poultry products, is looking to fill 40 production positions at its facility in Cornwall
- An Ultramar gas bar is expected to open in December in Prescott, creating 40 jobs. The location will feature a drive-through food service and two fast food restaurants.
- Springcress Properties plans to build a two-storey commercial condominium building on Prince of Wales Drive in Ottawa
- Construction is expected to start in May 2014 to replace the bridge over the Mississippi River on highway 511 in Lanark County. The $3.1M project is expected to be completed in October.
- Bass Pro Shops, a retailer of outdoor equipment and apparel, announced it will open a new store in Kanata in 2015. The location will include an Uncle Buck's Fishbowl and Grill restaurant and a bowling alley.
- Dundas Power Line Ltd., specializing in power line distribution maintenance based in Chesterville near Ottawa, expects to increase production and expand its workforce
- VENUS Cybersecurity Corporation, a non-profit organization aimed at addressing threats posed by cyberattacks, will open in Orleans, creating around 60 jobs once fully operational
- Primacy Family First Health Centre, located on Innes Road in Orleans, hired five new physicians
- The new Marriott Residence Inn Ottawa Airport has officially opened
- The $6.3M Ingredion Centre arena opened in Cardinal near Ottawa this week
- Atlas Block Co. Ltd., a manufacturer of concrete products based in Midland with locations in Brockville and Hillsdale has been placed into receivership, affecting nine of its 85 staff
- Date Modified: