Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes prepress technicians who operate various computer controlled systems to perform prepress activities and workers who operate graphic arts cameras and scanners, assemble film and negatives and prepare, engrave and etch printing plates or cylinders for various types of printing presses. They are employed in firms that specialize in colour graphics or platemaking and cylinder preparation, commercial publishing and printing companies, newspapers, magazines, and in various establishments in the public and private sectors that have in-house printing departments.
camera operator – graphic arts, cylinder preparer – printing, dot etcher, film stripper-assembler, platemaker, printing plate engraver, proofmaker, scanner operator, screenmaker, studio-image-processing system operator.
- Graphic arts camera operators set up and adjust black and white or colour separation process cameras to convert graphic art and photographs into film for assembly and exposure onto printing plates or cylinders.
- Cylinder preparers grind and polish press cylinders; expose and lay down carbon tissue; and etch or engrave cylinders using hand tools, etching machines, photogravure or laser processes to produce cylinders for gravure presses.
- Film strippers and assemblers assemble and position, either using automated equipment or by hand, pieces of film containing all parts of a printing job to produce flats or composite negatives for preparing printing plates or cylinders.
- Platemakers operate vacuum frames, plate processors and step and repeat machines to produce printing plates for various types of presses.
- Prepress technicians operate various computer-controlled studio systems to perform colour separation, retouching and editing that allow changes to be made to a colour negative for printing purposes, plan page layouts and electronically alter shape, size and positions of illustrations and text.
- Scanner operators operate computerized scanning machines or digital cameras to make colour separations and corrections from colour copy or transparencies for use in preparing film, digital files, printing plates or cylinders.
- Proofmakers operate computerized equipment to prepare film, laser or dylux proofs for quality control purposes or for customers' review.
Ottawa, Gloucester, Nepean, Brockville, Cornwall, Vanier, Carleton Place, Clarence-Rockland, Gananoque, Hawkesbury, Mississippi Mills, Perth, Prescott, Smiths Falls, Bourget, Buckham's Bay, Clarence, Constance Bay, Embrun, Hazeldean, Kars, Old Stittsville, Richmond, Rockland, Rockland East, Russell, South March, South March Station, Stittsville, St-Onge
Outlook & Prospects for Camera, Platemaking and Other Prepress Occupations in Ottawa Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Panacis Inc, an Ottawa-based battery developer, will receive up to $613,457 from FedDev Ontario, in addition to private investment of up to $1.2M in order to help commercialize a new battery system, creating up to 15 full-time jobs
- Claridge Homes received approval to build a 45-storey condo building in Ottawa, to be located at Preston and Norfolk Avenues
- Granite Networks, an Ottawa-based data centre firm, has raised $2M in funding to be used to grow the company's client base and hire more sales staff in the near future
- The Museum of Civilization in Ottawa laid off 14 staff due to a budget shortfall. The layoffs affected various departments, however no researchers or curators were lost.
- The City of Ottawa will be closing the Fisher Heights child care centre as of August 2013. Declining attendance and the proliferation of full day kindergarten programs contributed to the decision.
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- FedDev Ontario has invested $1.85M in four Ottawa area software companies. 360pi Corporation, SWIX Inc., Therapeutic Monitoring Systems and Capital Angel Network, are expected to create up to 44 jobs initially, with an additional 67 jobs by 2016.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Fusebill, an Ottawa-based automated billing firm, raised $2M in investments to increase the sales and marketing aspects of its business. The company plans to expand its workforce by the end of the year.
- Eleven Points Logistics, the company responsible for operating the new Target distribution centre in Cornwall, will hold a job fair on April 26 to fill hundreds of positions with expected start dates of June 1st, 2013
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- H&M, a clothing retailer, will open a new 22,000 sq.-ft. store in the Bayshore Shopping Centre in Ottawa in the fall
- DragonWave, an Ottawa based technology company, will eliminate one-third of its senior management positions as well as restructure a deal with Nokia Siemens Networks to cut operating costs
- Date Modified: