Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Drillers in this unit group operate mobile drilling machines to bore blast holes in open-pit mines and quarries and to bore holes for blasting and for building foundations at construction sites. Blasters in this unit group fill blast holes with explosives and detonate explosives to dislodge coal, ore and rock or to demolish structures. They are employed by mining, quarrying and construction companies and by drilling and blasting contractors.
blaster – surface mining, blaster, construction, driller, construction, foundation drill operator, open-pit blaster, open-pit driller, rotary drilling machine operator.
- Drive and operate tracked or truck-mounted rotary drilling, air-track or other drilling machines to bore large blast holes to specified depths at staked positions in open-pit mine or quarry
- Operate drilling machines to drill blast holes in rock at road or other construction sites
- Operate tracked or truck-mounted drill equipped with auger or other attachment to drill holes for building foundations or pilings
- May measure location and stake out pattern of holes to be drilled, load blast holes with explosives and detonate explosives to dislodge coal, ore or rock.
- Read instructions or diagrams, lay out drill pattern and determine depth and diameter of blast holes and conduct field tests to determine type and quantity of explosives required
- Assemble or direct other workers to assemble primer charges using selected detonators, fuses, detonating cords and other materials
- Load explosives in blast holes by hand or direct movement of bulk explosives trucks to load holes
- Connect electrical wires, detonating cords or fuses into series and connect series to blasting machines; press handle or button to detonate charges
- Handle, store and transport explosives and accessories in accordance with regulations and ensure that safety procedures are observed
- May operate air-track, rotary, down-the-hole or other drilling machines to drill blast holes or may direct drilling of blast holes.
Ottawa, Gloucester, Nepean, Brockville, Cornwall, Vanier, Carleton Place, Clarence-Rockland, Gananoque, Hawkesbury, Mississippi Mills, Perth, Prescott, Smiths Falls, Bourget, Buckham's Bay, Clarence, Constance Bay, Embrun, Hazeldean, Kars, Old Stittsville, Richmond, Rockland, Rockland East, Russell, South March, South March Station, Stittsville, St-Onge
Outlook & Prospects for Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction in Ottawa Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- A new Walmart Supercentre will open January 2015 in Cornwall on Cumberland St., replacing the existing location on Brookdale Avenue
- Olymel, a processor and distributor of pork and poultry products, is looking to fill 40 production positions at its facility in Cornwall
- An Ultramar gas bar is expected to open in December in Prescott, creating 40 jobs. The location will feature a drive-through food service and two fast food restaurants.
- Springcress Properties plans to build a two-storey commercial condominium building on Prince of Wales Drive in Ottawa
- Construction is expected to start in May 2014 to replace the bridge over the Mississippi River on highway 511 in Lanark County. The $3.1M project is expected to be completed in October.
- Bass Pro Shops, a retailer of outdoor equipment and apparel, announced it will open a new store in Kanata in 2015. The location will include an Uncle Buck's Fishbowl and Grill restaurant and a bowling alley.
- Dundas Power Line Ltd., specializing in power line distribution maintenance based in Chesterville near Ottawa, expects to increase production and expand its workforce
- VENUS Cybersecurity Corporation, a non-profit organization aimed at addressing threats posed by cyberattacks, will open in Orleans, creating around 60 jobs once fully operational
- Primacy Family First Health Centre, located on Innes Road in Orleans, hired five new physicians
- The new Marriott Residence Inn Ottawa Airport has officially opened
- The $6.3M Ingredion Centre arena opened in Cardinal near Ottawa this week
- Atlas Block Co. Ltd., a manufacturer of concrete products based in Midland with locations in Brockville and Hillsdale has been placed into receivership, affecting nine of its 85 staff
- Date Modified: