Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Railway conductors co-ordinate and supervise the activities of passenger and freight train crew members. Brakemen check train brakes and other systems and equipment prior to train run, and assist railway conductors in activities en route. They are employed by railway transport companies.
brakeman/woman, freight train conductor, front-end brakeman/woman, passenger train conductor, railway conductor, road freight brakeman/woman, tail-end brakeman/woman, train conductor.
- Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of passenger and freight train crew members (except locomotive engineers) to ensure train operations are in accordance with schedule, train orders and code of operating rules
- Receive train orders and explain orders to brakemen/women, locomotive engineer and other crew members
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to give and receive train operation information
- Collect fares on board passenger trains, announce approaching train stops and answer passenger enquiries
- Prepare train run reports.
- Check train systems and equipment such as air conditioning and heating systems, brakes and brake hoses prior to train run
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to aid in the movement and operation of train
- Receive orders from traffic controllers, observe signals and track conditions and open and close track switches
- Set and release hand brakes and connect air brake hoses to couple and switch passenger or freight cars, making minor repairs to couplings, air hoses and wheel-bearing boxes as required
- Assist in collecting fares and helping passengers on and off train.
Ottawa, Gloucester, Nepean, Brockville, Cornwall, Vanier, Carleton Place, Clarence-Rockland, Gananoque, Hawkesbury, Mississippi Mills, Perth, Prescott, Smiths Falls, Bourget, Buckham's Bay, Clarence, Constance Bay, Embrun, Hazeldean, Kars, Old Stittsville, Richmond, Rockland, Rockland East, Russell, South March, South March Station, Stittsville, St-Onge
Wages for Railway Conductors and Brakemen/women in Ottawa Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||13.30||32.84||40.87|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Ontario Job Futures
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. The Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments.
You can view a report specific to this occupation on Ontario Job Futures
- Date Modified: