Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness lead and instruct groups and individuals in recreational, sports, fitness or athletic programs. They are employed by community centres, sports and fitness clubs, outdoor centres, resorts, recreational facilities, health care facilities, correctional institutions, government departments, private businesses, tourism associations and similar establishments.
Certified personal trainer, aerobics instructor, camp counsellor, day camp leader, fitness instructor, gymnastics teacher, lifeguard, personal trainer, playground worker, recreation program leader, riding instructor, ski instructor, ski patrol, swimming instructor – sports.
- Plan and carry out recreational, athletic, fitness and sports activities
- Assemble supplies and sports and game equipment
- Demonstrate and instruct athletic, fitness or sports activities and techniques
- Instruct groups and individuals in arts, crafts and similar activities and lead groups and individuals in recreational or leisure programs
- Attend to clients with special needs
- Provide lifestyle awareness information
- Conduct therapeutic recreational or athletic activities
- Monitor recreational, sports or fitness activities to ensure safety and provide emergency or first aid assistance when required
- Enforce safety rules and regulations
- Assist with co-ordination of special events
- Schedule activities, keep logs, maintain records and prepare reports
- May train and supervise staff
- May maintain and repair sports equipment.
Ottawa, Gloucester, Nepean, Brockville, Cornwall, Vanier, Carleton Place, Clarence-Rockland, Gananoque, Hawkesbury, Mississippi Mills, Perth, Prescott, Smiths Falls, Bourget, Buckham's Bay, Clarence, Constance Bay, Embrun, Hazeldean, Kars, Old Stittsville, Richmond, Rockland, Rockland East, Russell, South March, South March Station, Stittsville, St-Onge
Outlook & Prospects for Program Leaders and Instructors in Recreation, Sport and Fitness in Ottawa Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- The City of Ottawa will be closing the Fisher Heights child care centre as of August 2013. Declining attendance and the proliferation of full day kindergarten programs contributed to the decision.
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- Ottawa gym club Soma Health and Fitness abruptly closed. Workers and members arrived finding the space was closed and equipment removed.
Week of Nov 19 – Nov 23, 2012
- The Upper Canada District School Board in Eastern Ontario has hired extra staff to perform some of the additional work resulting from job action by teachers
- The Akwesasne Casino near Cornwall has completed a 40,000-sq.-ft. expansion and is adding 50 to 75 jobs
Week of Jul 16 – Jul 20, 2012
- Date Modified: