Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes a range of technical, co-ordinating and supervisory workers who co-ordinate and perform specific activities for television, radio and motion picture productions, news broadcasts, theatre and stage productions, and other live or recorded productions. They are employed by television and radio stations and networks, recording studios, motion picture and video production companies, concert promoters and theatre, stage and dance companies.
costumier, floor manager – broadcasting, gaffer, key grip, lighting technician, make-up artist, program co-ordinator – broadcasting, property master – broadcasting, settings shop foreman/woman, special effects technician, stage manager, stage technician, stunt co-ordinator, theatre technician.
- Floor managers co-ordinate camera operators and other technical staff, and cue announcers, actors and performers during news broadcasts and television program tapings.
- Key grips supervise grips, gaffers and stagehands who rig, place, move and dismantle lights, sets, backdrops, scenery and other stage equipment.
- Gaffers and lighting technicians set up, operate and make repairs to lights and other electrical equipment in studios and on sets and stages.
- Stunt co-ordinators and special effects technicians design and co-ordinate special effects such as fires, explosions and crashes.
- Make-up artists apply cosmetic and special effects make-up on actors and other performers.
- Costumiers study scripts to determine the necessary costumes; oversee the acquisition, fitting and maintenance of costumes.
- Settings shop foremen assist in preparing the construction specifications for sets.
- Property masters identify and list the necessary props and place them during rehearsals and performances.
Ottawa, Gloucester, Nepean, Brockville, Cornwall, Vanier, Carleton Place, Clarence-Rockland, Gananoque, Hawkesbury, Mississippi Mills, Perth, Prescott, Smiths Falls, Bourget, Buckham's Bay, Clarence, Constance Bay, Embrun, Hazeldean, Kars, Old Stittsville, Richmond, Rockland, Rockland East, Russell, South March, South March Station, Stittsville, St-Onge
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts in Ottawa Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- FedDev Ontario has invested $1.85M in four Ottawa area software companies. 360pi Corporation, SWIX Inc., Therapeutic Monitoring Systems and Capital Angel Network, are expected to create up to 44 jobs initially, with an additional 67 jobs by 2016.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Fusebill, an Ottawa-based automated billing firm, raised $2M in investments to increase the sales and marketing aspects of its business. The company plans to expand its workforce by the end of the year.
- Eleven Points Logistics, the company responsible for operating the new Target distribution centre in Cornwall, will hold a job fair on April 26 to fill hundreds of positions with expected start dates of June 1st, 2013
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- H&M, a clothing retailer, will open a new 22,000 sq.-ft. store in the Bayshore Shopping Centre in Ottawa in the fall
- DragonWave, an Ottawa based technology company, will eliminate one-third of its senior management positions as well as restructure a deal with Nokia Siemens Networks to cut operating costs
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Ottawa tech firm Exocortex Technologies Inc., which specializes in 3D animation technology, plans on hiring five new positions this year and an additional five in 2014
- Sensplex East, a $26M four-pad ice surface complex in Ottawa, is set to begin construction this spring with an expected completion date of September 2014
- Date Modified: