Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Probation officers monitor the conduct and behaviour of criminal offenders serving probation terms. Parole officers monitor the reintegration of criminal offenders serving the remainder of sentences while conditionally released into the community on parole. Classification officers assess inmates and develop rehabilitation programs for criminal offenders who are incarcerated in correctional facilities. They are employed by federal and provincial governments and work in the community and in correctional facilities.
case manager – corrections, classification officer, correctional institution, parole officer, probation officer, youth worker – corrections.
- Interview offenders, police, family, friends, school authorities and employers to prepare pre-sentence reports and assess offenders' prospects for successful reintegration into the community
- Plan rehabilitation programs with offenders, establishing rules of conduct, goals and objectives
- Refer offenders to community and social service programs, as required
- Supervise the terms of a probation order and attend court
- Interview probationers and parolees regularly to evaluate their progress in accomplishing goals and maintaining the terms specified in their probation contracts and rehabilitation plans
- Recommend remedial action or initiate court action when terms of probation or parole are violated
- May perform administrative duties and supervise support staff
- May participate in policy development.
- Interview inmates to assess adjustment problems and develop suitable rehabilitation programs
- Prepare classification reports recommending type of incarceration and types of interventions considered most beneficial for the rehabilitation of the inmates
- Plan rehabilitation programs with offenders, identifying needs and setting out goals and objectives
- Liaise with the inmates' families and contacts in the community to maintain established bonds outside of the institution
- Advise and counsel inmates regarding their problems and evaluate their progress.
Ottawa, Gloucester, Nepean, Brockville, Cornwall, Vanier, Carleton Place, Clarence-Rockland, Gananoque, Hawkesbury, Mississippi Mills, Perth, Prescott, Smiths Falls, Bourget, Buckham's Bay, Clarence, Constance Bay, Embrun, Hazeldean, Kars, Old Stittsville, Richmond, Rockland, Rockland East, Russell, South March, South March Station, Stittsville, St-Onge
Outlook & Prospects for Probation and Parole Officers and Related Occupations in Ottawa Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Panacis Inc, an Ottawa-based battery developer, will receive up to $613,457 from FedDev Ontario, in addition to private investment of up to $1.2M in order to help commercialize a new battery system, creating up to 15 full-time jobs
- Claridge Homes received approval to build a 45-storey condo building in Ottawa, to be located at Preston and Norfolk Avenues
- Granite Networks, an Ottawa-based data centre firm, has raised $2M in funding to be used to grow the company's client base and hire more sales staff in the near future
- The Museum of Civilization in Ottawa laid off 14 staff due to a budget shortfall. The layoffs affected various departments, however no researchers or curators were lost.
- The City of Ottawa will be closing the Fisher Heights child care centre as of August 2013. Declining attendance and the proliferation of full day kindergarten programs contributed to the decision.
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- FedDev Ontario has invested $1.85M in four Ottawa area software companies. 360pi Corporation, SWIX Inc., Therapeutic Monitoring Systems and Capital Angel Network, are expected to create up to 44 jobs initially, with an additional 67 jobs by 2016.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Fusebill, an Ottawa-based automated billing firm, raised $2M in investments to increase the sales and marketing aspects of its business. The company plans to expand its workforce by the end of the year.
- Eleven Points Logistics, the company responsible for operating the new Target distribution centre in Cornwall, will hold a job fair on April 26 to fill hundreds of positions with expected start dates of June 1st, 2013
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- H&M, a clothing retailer, will open a new 22,000 sq.-ft. store in the Bayshore Shopping Centre in Ottawa in the fall
- DragonWave, an Ottawa based technology company, will eliminate one-third of its senior management positions as well as restructure a deal with Nokia Siemens Networks to cut operating costs
- Date Modified: