Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Operators in this unit group operate machines to process yarn or thread into woven, non-woven and knitted products such as cloth, lace, carpets, rope, industrial fabric, hosiery and knitted garments or to quilt and embroider fabric. This unit group also includes workers who perform activities such as reproducing patterns, drawing-in and tying warps and setting up looms. They are employed by textile companies and by garment and mattress manufacturing companies.
carpet weaver, drawer-in, drawing-in machine operator, embroidery machine operator, hosiery knitter, knitter – textiles, knitting machine operator, loom operator, mattress sewing machine operator, pinning machine operator, quilting machine operator, tufting operator, warp knitting machine tender, warp tier-in, weaver – textiles.
- Set up looms or other processing machines
- Read loom patterns and prepare loom pattern mechanisms for processing
- Operate looms to weave yarn or thread into textile fabrics or products
- Operate machines that produce twine, ropes or nets
- Operate batteries of knitting machines to produce knitted fabric, hosiery, garments or other products
- Operate carpet tufting machines, felt making needle-punch machines and other machines to produce textile products
- Operate large automatic multi-needle machines to embroider material or to sew lengths of several layers of material to make yard goods, quilts or mattress coverings
- Patrol machines and check fabrics or products for defects and to verify efficient operation
- Investigate machine stoppages
- Repair minor mechanical problems such as broken or defective needles
- Notify supervisor or repairers of mechanical malfunctions.
Outlook & Prospects for Weavers, Knitters and Other Fabric-Making Occupations in Northwest Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- The federal government has released a new batch of petroleum exploration licenses for the NWT, including four in Gwich'in territory
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Pioneer Construction Inc. has been awarded a $15.6M contract to rebuild Highway 17 near Nipigon this summer, creating 150 jobs
- Wilco Contractors Superior Inc. has been awarded a $4.6M contract to replace the Sturgeon River Bridge near Geraldton this summer, creating 40 jobs
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Date Modified: