Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes telecommunications and electrical trade contractors who own and operate their own businesses. This group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Electricians</i> (7241), <i>Industrial Electricians</i> (7242), <i>Power System Electricians</i> (7243), <i>Electrical Power Line and Cable Workers</i> (7244), <i>Telecommunications Line and Cable Workers</i> (7245), <i>Telecommunications Installation and Repair Workers</i> (7246) and <i>Cable Television Service and Maintenance Technicians</i> (7247). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
electrical contractor, foreman/woman, cablevision technicians, foreman/woman, construction electricians, foreman/woman, industrial electricians, foreman/woman, power line and cable workers, foreman/woman, power system electricians, foreman/woman, telecommunications installation and repair workers, supervisor, cable maintenance and repair, supervisor, plant electricians, supervisor, residential electricians.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who install, repair and maintain electrical wiring, fixtures and control devices, power systems, telecommunication systems and cablevision systems
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other subcontractors or departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare work progress reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Electrical Trades and Telecommunications Occupations in Northwest Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Havilah Holdings will establish a new manufacturing plant in Greenstone in Northwestern Ontario, creating 52 jobs
- Current construction to build a new bridge near Red Rock, outside of Thunder Bay, by LH North Ltd, creates 34 new jobs
- The Ontario government awarded a $6.7M contract to Pioneer Construction Inc. to repave over 20 kilometres of Highway 11, west of Atikokan, creating 67 new jobs
- A new LCBO to be built in Thunder Bay by spring 2015 will be the largest in Northwestern Ontario
- Twenty new jobs created and up to 140 protected with the opening of the new $66M Becker cogeneration facility in Hornepayne, west of Timmins
- LH North Limited and LH Crane & Rigging Limited has been awarded a $1.3M contract to remove an overhead rail line near Marathon, creating 13 jobs
- Date Modified: