Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Program officers in this unit group are primarily concerned with the administration and operation of government institutions, such as Parliament, and activities unique to the operations of government, such as international relations, federal-provincial affairs, elections and tribunals.
attaché, elections officer, federal-provincial relations officer, foreign service officer, intergovernmental affairs officer, officer, office of the Speaker, officer, royal commission, officer, standing or select committee, protocol officer, returning officer, tribunal officer.
- Advise politicians or diplomats on the social, economic and political effects of government decisions on other governments in Canada or abroad
- Plan intergovernmental meetings and conferences with officers of other municipal, provincial or federal governments
- Co-ordinate the logistics and administration of elections within constituencies and ensure that electoral and voting procedures are followed
- Co-ordinate administrative support services for legislative committees, royal commissions or tribunals
- Participate as a member of a board or tribunal
- Plan logistics and oversee diplomatic protocol of official visits to Canada by foreign politicians and dignitaries
- Explain Canadian foreign and domestic policies to governments and nationals of foreign countries, and act on behalf of Canada abroad.
Outlook & Prospects for Program Officers Unique to Government in Northwest Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Ontario.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||N/A||N/A|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 11 - Nov 15, 2013
- The Ministry of Natural Resources is closing its Kirkland Lake Fire Base, resulting in the layoff of 34 seasonal firefighters in the Timiskaming District
- The Dryden Police Communications Centre will close effective March 31, 2014. Services are to be outsourced to the Owen Sound Police Service, resulting in the loss of 9 full-time and 4 part-time positions.
- Ontario Provincial Police and Sault Ste. Marie Police Services are looking for new recruits. The demand is expected to run for several years due to an aging workforce. It is anticipated that the provincial force will hire hundreds of new officers in the next year.
- Date Modified: