Explore Careers - Job Market Report
University professors teach courses to undergraduate and graduate students and conduct research at universities and degree-granting colleges. University professors who are heads of departments are included in this unit group.
English professor, assistant professor, botany, associate professor, linguistics, chairperson, food sciences department, chairperson, physics department, department head, geography, lecturer – university, professor of computer science, professor of medicine, university instructor, engineering, university professor.
- Teach one or more university subjects to undergraduate and graduate students
- Prepare and deliver lectures to students and conduct laboratory sessions or discussion groups
- Prepare, administer and grade examinations, laboratory assignments and reports
- Advise students on course and academic matters and career decisions
- Direct research programs of graduate students and advise on research matters
- Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books
- May serve on faculty committees dealing with such matters as curriculum planning and degree requirements, and perform a variety of administrative duties
- May represent their universities as speakers and guest lecturers
- May provide professional consultative services to government, industry and private individuals.
University professors specialize in a particular subject matter such as biology, chemistry, anatomy, sociology, business administration or law.
Outlook & Prospects for University Professors in Northwest Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Ontario.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-28|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-28|
|Kitchener--Waterloo--Barrie Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-28|
|London Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-28|
|Muskoka-Kawarthas Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-28|
|Northeast Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-28|
|Northwest Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-28|
|Ottawa Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-28|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-28|
|Toronto Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-28|
|Windsor-Sarnia Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-28|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- October 2013 | (PDF, 461 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 461 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 474 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 513 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 463 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 462 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 506 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 245 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 249 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 500 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 313 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Oct 07 - Oct 11, 2013
- The $3.2M expansion of the Ridgetown Campus of the University of Guelph in Chatham-Kent is nearing completion
- The Windsor Essex Catholic District School Board recalled 149 laid off elementary and secondary school teachers due to greater enrollment
- Willis College expects to start classes at its new branch in Arnprior at the end of September or October, 2013, with recruitment currently underway
- The University of Western Ontario, London, officially opened its new $110M Richard Ivey School of Business building, which will serve 1,500 students, faculty and staff
- Forty jobs created as new architecture school opened at Laurentian University in Sudbury
- Six new elementary schools opened in Brampton in September 2013
- A new law school has opened at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay with 60 students and Laurentian University unveiled its new School of Architecture in Sudbury
- Date Modified: