Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Sewing machine operators operate sewing machines to sew fabric, fur, leather or synthetic materials to produce or repair garments and other articles. They are employed in clothing, footwear, textile products, fur products and other manufacturing establishments and by furriers.
fur sewing machine operator, leather products sewing machine operator, lining stitcher, sample maker, sample sewer, serging machine operator, sewing machine operator, shoe sewer.
- Assemble pieces of garments by matching patterns and dye lots
- Operate single, double or multi-needle serging, flat bed felling, banding and other sewing machines, to join sections of garments or other articles into finished products on a piece-work or production basis
- Operate fur sewing machines to join fur pelt strips to required size and shape and join pelts into garment sections or shells
- Operate stitching machines to sew leather parts together for leather garments, handbags, shoes and other leather articles
- Operate serging machines to sew and overcast edges of material simultaneously
- Operate tackers, pocketsetters, buttonhole makers and fusing, hemmer and other machines to perform various operations in the fabrication of garments and other articles
- Examine garments and operate sewing machines, sergers and other machines to repair garments and other articles during the manufacturing process
- Complete production reports
- May perform minor maintenance and repairs on sewing machine.
Outlook & Prospects for Sewing Machine Operators in Muskoka-Kawarthas Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- Bakkavor Foods Canada plans to close its Cobourg location within the next few weeks, affecting 50 workers
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Longtime Cobourg manufacturer Signode [Strapex] will close in June, affecting 25 workers. Parent company Illinois Tool Works is consolidating operations in the U.S.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
Week of Feb 25 – Mar 01, 2013
- Date Modified: