Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Blacksmiths forge a variety of metal items, such as tools, chains, wrought iron fixtures, agricultural implements and structural components. Die setters set up forging machines, such as forging presses, drop hammers, forging rolls and upsetters. They are employed primarily by fabricated metal products, machinery and transportation equipment manufacturing companies.
- Heat metal items in forge
- Hammer, punch, cut or otherwise form metal workpieces into desired shapes and sizes
- Forge special tools from metal or devise special jigs or fixtures
- Temper, harden or anneal forged items
- Shape metal using power forging machinery.
- Select dies for forging according to work order and specifications
- Position, align and bolt dies to ram and anvil of power presses and hammers
- Check initial operation of forging machine to ensure that machine is set up properly for use by forging machine operators.
Sudbury, Elliot Lake, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Algo, Blind River, Capreol, Cobalt, Englehart, Espanola, Garson Junction, Haileybury, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Mattawa, New Liskeard, Nickel Centre, Parry Sound, Powassan, Temiskaming Shores, Thessalon, Valley East, Blezard Valley, Carol Richard Park, Connaught Hill, Dowling, Elmview, Finntown, Flake, Guilletville, Hanmer, Laurentien, Levack, Lively, McCrea Heights, Naughton, Parkwood, Pinecrest, Porcupine, Pottsville, South Porcupine, Val Caron, Val Therese
Outlook & Prospects for Blacksmiths and Die Setters in Northeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Miller Paving Limited is reconstructing 34 kilometres of Highway 65 near New Liskeard this spring, creating 96 jobs
- Cruickshank Construction Limited will create 29 jobs for improvements to the Amable du Fond River Bridge on Highway 630 near Mattawa
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Bonnechere Excavating Limited was awarded an $8.4M contract to repair Highway 535 near Noelville creating approximately 80 jobs this spring
- Hiring started at Laurentian University's new School of Architecture in Sudbury
- More than 20 registered practical nurses receive layoff notices at the North Bay Regional Health Centre
- Province invests more than $666,000 in the mining supply and services sector
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Willow Creek Mine near Chetnwyd will lay off 250 of their 350 workers this month
- With the help of funding from the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation, 20 jobs will be created at HLS Hard-Line Solutions, a mining supply company in Greater Sudbury
- Date Modified: