Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes security guards and other related workers who guard property against theft and vandalism, control access to establishments, maintain order and enforce regulations at public events and within establishments. They are employed by private security agencies, retail stores, transportation facilities, residential complexes, educational, financial and health institutions, industrial establishments, cultural establishments, and organizations throughout the private and public sectors.
airport security guard, armoured car guard, bodyguard (except police), bouncer, commissionaire, crossing guard, gate attendant – security, night watchman/woman, preboarding security guard, security guard, security officer.
- Control access to establishments, issue passes and direct visitors to appropriate areas
- Attend to persons with special needs
- Patrol assigned areas, on foot or in vehicles, to guard against theft, shoplifting, vandalism and fire
- Ensure safety of children crossing roads
- Check age identification of patrons
- Enforce regulations of an establishment to maintain order and resolve conflicts
- Operate security control-room equipment to monitor establishment activities
- Perform security checks of passengers and luggage at airports
- Drive and guard armoured trucks and deliver cash and valuables to banks, automated teller machines and retail establishments
- Ensure that establishment safety and emergency procedures are followed, and respond to fire alarms, bomb threats and other emergencies.
- Follow radio and emergency telephone procedures.
Sudbury, Elliot Lake, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Algo, Blind River, Capreol, Cobalt, Englehart, Espanola, Garson Junction, Haileybury, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Mattawa, New Liskeard, Nickel Centre, Parry Sound, Powassan, Temiskaming Shores, Thessalon, Valley East, Blezard Valley, Carol Richard Park, Connaught Hill, Dowling, Elmview, Finntown, Flake, Guilletville, Hanmer, Laurentien, Levack, Lively, McCrea Heights, Naughton, Parkwood, Pinecrest, Porcupine, Pottsville, South Porcupine, Val Caron, Val Therese
Outlook & Prospects for Security Guards and Related Occupations in Northeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Ontario.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||N/A||N/A|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Sundown Theatre to perform in Kincardine this summer, seeking local actors and musicians who must register by May 31 in order to audition
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- HGS Canada will expand its contact centre operations to Barrie, creating 500 jobs initially with the potential for future growth within the year. The company is currently hiring both entry level and management positions.
- A new museum that features the HMCS Ojibwa submarine will bring 45 jobs in Port Burwell, near London
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital is outsourcing its transcription services to Accentus, resulting in the layoff of eight workers at the hospital
- The horse racing season at Flamboro Downs will be reduced this year, resulting in layoffs at the Hamilton track
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Bingemans Inc. will expand its catering and recreation complex in Kitchener with the opening of a Boston Pizza restaurant, Kingpin Bowlounge bowling venue and Playdium Game Centre in June 2013. The expansion will add about 100 jobs.
- Lambton College opened its Summer Job Service Centre for students looking for summer employment
- Date Modified: