Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Family, marriage and other related counsellors assist individuals and groups of clients to identify, understand and overcome personal problems and achieve personal objectives. They are employed by counselling centres, social service agencies, group homes, government agencies, family therapy centres, and health care and rehabilitation facilities, or they may work in private practice.
addictions counsellor, bereavement counsellor, child and youth counsellor, family counsellor, marriage counsellor, registered clinical counsellor, registered marriage and family therapist, rehabilitation counsellor, sex therapist, vocational rehabilitation counsellor.
- Interview clients, prepare case histories and assess problems
- Conduct vocational testing and psychometric assessment
- Develop and implement counselling and intervention programs to assist clients in determining goals and means of attaining them
- Counsel clients, provide therapy and mediation services, and facilitate group sessions
- Liaise with community agencies or partners, and identify additional or alternative services and provide referrals
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs and interventions, and clients' progress in resolving identified problems and movement toward defined objectives
- Follow up on results of counselling programs and clients' adjustments
- Prepare assessment, progress, follow-up and court reports
- May supervise other counsellors, social service staff and assistants
- May provide public education and consultation to other professionals or groups regarding counselling services, issues and methods
- May provide witness testimony in court proceedings
- May conduct research, publish research papers, educational texts and articles and deliver presentations at conferences.
- May participate in fundraising activities.
Family, marriage and other related counsellors often specialize in dealing with a specific client group such as injured workers, or with specific problems, such as drug and alcohol addiction, marital difficulties or behavioural disorders.
Sudbury, Elliot Lake, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Algo, Blind River, Capreol, Cobalt, Englehart, Espanola, Garson Junction, Haileybury, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Mattawa, New Liskeard, Nickel Centre, Parry Sound, Powassan, Temiskaming Shores, Thessalon, Valley East, Blezard Valley, Carol Richard Park, Connaught Hill, Dowling, Elmview, Finntown, Flake, Guilletville, Hanmer, Laurentien, Levack, Lively, McCrea Heights, Naughton, Parkwood, Pinecrest, Porcupine, Pottsville, South Porcupine, Val Caron, Val Therese
Outlook & Prospects for Family, Marriage and Other Related Counsellors in Northeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- More than 20 registered practical nurses receive layoff notices at the North Bay Regional Health Centre
Week of Mar 11 – Mar 15, 2013
- The Advanced Medical Institute of Canada (AMRIC) at Health Sciences North in Sudbury is establishing a Geriatrics Research Chair to study chronic disease affecting seniors. The project is expected to create 10 jobs.
Week of Jan 14 – Jan 18, 2013
Week of Dec 10 – Dec 14, 2012
- Date Modified: