Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Respiratory therapists assist physicians in the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with respiratory and cardiopulmonary disorders. They are employed in hospitals, medical clinics, health units, extended care facilities, public health centres and respiratory home care companies. Clinical perfusionists provide technical support to patients undergoing cardiac surgery and patients requiring cardio-respiratory support. Cardiopulmonary technologists assist physicians in the technical aspects of diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease. Clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists are primarily employed in hospitals. Supervisors and instructors of respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists are included in this unit group.
cardiopulmonary technologist, cardiovascular perfusion supervisor, cardiovascular perfusionist, certified clinical perfusionist (CCP), chief respiratory technologist, clinical perfusionist, perfusionist, registered respiratory therapist (RRT), respiratory therapist, respiratory therapy clinical instructor.
- Perform diagnostic tests, such as arterial blood gas analysis and cardiopulmonary functions tests
- Operate and monitor respiratory equipment to administer treatments such as oxygen, oxygen-air mixtures, humidified air or medications
- Operate, monitor, maintain and test a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- Assess patients and perform or assist with interventions such as airway maintenance, line insertions, inductions and intubations
- Perform artificial respiration and external cardiac massage
- Assist with transport of high-risk patients
- Supervise and train students and other respiratory therapists
- Participate in home care programs for chronic respiratory patients and provide patient and family education
- Participate in research related to cardiac and pulmonary disorders.
Clinical perfusionists perform some or all of the following duties:
Respiratory therapists may specialize in areas such as anaesthesia, critical care, pediatrics, cardiopulmonary diagnostics and respiratory home care.
- Assemble, maintain and operate extracorporeal circulation equipment, intra-aortic balloon pumps and other heart assist devices to support or temporarily replace patients' cardiopulmonary functions during open-heart surgery
- Administer blood products, drugs and other substances through heart-lung machines and other devices as directed by cardiac surgeons and anaesthetists
- Monitor vital signs to maintain patients' physiological functions during cardiopulmonary surgery
- Supervise and train student clinical perfusionists and other clinical perfusionists.
- Perform diagnostic tests, such as pulmonary function and asthma stress, or assist physicians with cardiac and cardiopulmonary stress tests and bronchoscopies
- Determine patients' blood characteristics such as activated clotting time and oxygen saturation
- Operate, monitor, maintain, calibrate and test diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- Monitor patients and advise physician of any changes in patients' condition
- Prepare medications and administer inhaler and other treatments under supervision of cardiologist
- Provide information and care for patients during tests
- Assist with the preparation of cardiac catheterization room, prepare specialized catheters and assist cardiologists during catheterization
- Perform analysis, programming and monitoring of implanted devices such as pacemakers and defibrillators during surgery
- Supervise and train students and other cardiopulmonary technologists
- Provide technical support for research.
Sudbury, Elliot Lake, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Algo, Blind River, Capreol, Cobalt, Englehart, Espanola, Garson Junction, Haileybury, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Mattawa, New Liskeard, Nickel Centre, Parry Sound, Powassan, Temiskaming Shores, Thessalon, Valley East, Blezard Valley, Carol Richard Park, Connaught Hill, Dowling, Elmview, Finntown, Flake, Guilletville, Hanmer, Laurentien, Levack, Lively, McCrea Heights, Naughton, Parkwood, Pinecrest, Porcupine, Pottsville, South Porcupine, Val Caron, Val Therese
Jobs for Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Perfusionists and Cardiopulmonary Technologists in Northeast Region
Job opportunities from Job Bank and contributing job sites are updated daily.
There are currently no job offers available in Northeast Region for this occupation.
Where to look for job opportunities
Job postings can be found in many places: on the Internet, on community bulletin boards, at job fairs or in newspaper
help wanted sections.
Information about available work is often circulated through managers, employees and business associates, as well as through family, friends and acquaintances. Networking Link opens in a new window is one of the best ways to search for jobs.
RSS job search feed
Subscribe to the Canada¿s National Job Bank's RSS job search feedLink opens in a new window and receive automatic job posting updates for the location and occupation you have selected.
- Date Modified: