Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Respiratory therapists assist physicians in the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with respiratory and cardiopulmonary disorders. They are employed in hospitals, medical clinics, health units, extended care facilities, public health centres and respiratory home care companies. Clinical perfusionists provide technical support to patients undergoing cardiac surgery and patients requiring cardio-respiratory support. Cardiopulmonary technologists assist physicians in the technical aspects of diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease. Clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists are primarily employed in hospitals. Supervisors and instructors of respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists are included in this unit group.
cardiopulmonary technologist, cardiovascular perfusion supervisor, cardiovascular perfusionist, certified clinical perfusionist (CCP), chief respiratory technologist, clinical perfusionist, perfusionist, registered respiratory therapist (RRT), respiratory therapist, respiratory therapy clinical instructor.
- Perform diagnostic tests, such as arterial blood gas analysis and cardiopulmonary functions tests
- Operate and monitor respiratory equipment to administer treatments such as oxygen, oxygen-air mixtures, humidified air or medications
- Operate, monitor, maintain and test a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- Assess patients and perform or assist with interventions such as airway maintenance, line insertions, inductions and intubations
- Perform artificial respiration and external cardiac massage
- Assist with transport of high-risk patients
- Supervise and train students and other respiratory therapists
- Participate in home care programs for chronic respiratory patients and provide patient and family education
- Participate in research related to cardiac and pulmonary disorders.
Clinical perfusionists perform some or all of the following duties:
Respiratory therapists may specialize in areas such as anaesthesia, critical care, pediatrics, cardiopulmonary diagnostics and respiratory home care.
- Assemble, maintain and operate extracorporeal circulation equipment, intra-aortic balloon pumps and other heart assist devices to support or temporarily replace patients' cardiopulmonary functions during open-heart surgery
- Administer blood products, drugs and other substances through heart-lung machines and other devices as directed by cardiac surgeons and anaesthetists
- Monitor vital signs to maintain patients' physiological functions during cardiopulmonary surgery
- Supervise and train student clinical perfusionists and other clinical perfusionists.
- Perform diagnostic tests, such as pulmonary function and asthma stress, or assist physicians with cardiac and cardiopulmonary stress tests and bronchoscopies
- Determine patients' blood characteristics such as activated clotting time and oxygen saturation
- Operate, monitor, maintain, calibrate and test diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- Monitor patients and advise physician of any changes in patients' condition
- Prepare medications and administer inhaler and other treatments under supervision of cardiologist
- Provide information and care for patients during tests
- Assist with the preparation of cardiac catheterization room, prepare specialized catheters and assist cardiologists during catheterization
- Perform analysis, programming and monitoring of implanted devices such as pacemakers and defibrillators during surgery
- Supervise and train students and other cardiopulmonary technologists
- Provide technical support for research.
Sudbury, Elliot Lake, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Algo, Blind River, Capreol, Cobalt, Englehart, Espanola, Garson Junction, Haileybury, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Mattawa, New Liskeard, Nickel Centre, Parry Sound, Powassan, Temiskaming Shores, Thessalon, Valley East, Blezard Valley, Carol Richard Park, Connaught Hill, Dowling, Elmview, Finntown, Flake, Guilletville, Hanmer, Laurentien, Levack, Lively, McCrea Heights, Naughton, Parkwood, Pinecrest, Porcupine, Pottsville, South Porcupine, Val Caron, Val Therese
Outlook & Prospects for Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Perfusionists and Cardiopulmonary Technologists in Northeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Northern Health is proceeding with demolition of the old hospital in Fort St. John. Mierau Contractors is in charge of the project, which is expected to be complete in February 2014. NAPP Enterprises, from Prince George, will handle the demolition.
- Dawson Creek-based Hegge Construction has been awarded a $2.7M contract for work on the basement of The Calvin Kruk Centre for the Arts. Dawson Creek City Council anticipates that work on the centre will be completed by the summer of 2014.
- The Ontario government is providing $4.3M towards the expansion of Mohawk Garnet Inc., an abrasive garnet plant in the Sudbury area, creating 62 jobs
- Rentech Inc. will convert an idle mill in Wawa into an industrial wood pellet production facility next fall, employing 40 workers and supporting an additional 200 forest industry jobs in surrounding communities
- The Ministry of Natural Resources is closing its Kirkland Lake Fire Base, resulting in the layoff of 34 seasonal firefighters in the Timiskaming District
- Global mining company Vale has cut approximately 25 support and service positions in Sudbury
- George Stone and Sons has been awarded a $10.8M tender for a phase of the International Bridge project in Sault Ste. Marie. The construction project includes a new duty free shop and maintenance building. Twenty to 49 workers will be on site. (available in French only)
- Aecon Construction completed construction of a new maintenance patrol yard on Highway 69 in Sudbury, creating 55 new jobs
- Resolute Forest Products has laid off up to 70 workers at the Iroquois Falls¿ paper mill near Timmins
- Date Modified: