Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Web designers and developers research, design, develop and produce Internet and Intranet sites. They are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, information technology units throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
Internet site designer, Internet site developer, Intranet site designer, Web designer, Web developer, Web manager, Web site developer, Webmaster, e-business Web site developer, e-commerce Web site developer.
- Consult with clients to develop and document Web site requirements
- Prepare mock-ups and storyboards
- Develop Web site architecture and determine hardware and software requirements
- Source, select and organize information for inclusion and design the appearance, layout and flow of the Web site
- Create and optimize content for the Web site using a variety of graphics, database, animation and other software
- Plan, design, write, modify, integrate and test Web-site related code
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- May lead and co-ordinate multidisciplinary teams to develop Web site graphics, content, capacity and interactivity
- May research and evaluate a variety of interactive media software products
Sudbury, Elliot Lake, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Algo, Blind River, Capreol, Cobalt, Englehart, Espanola, Garson Junction, Haileybury, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Mattawa, New Liskeard, Nickel Centre, Parry Sound, Powassan, Temiskaming Shores, Thessalon, Valley East, Blezard Valley, Carol Richard Park, Connaught Hill, Dowling, Elmview, Finntown, Flake, Guilletville, Hanmer, Laurentien, Levack, Lively, McCrea Heights, Naughton, Parkwood, Pinecrest, Porcupine, Pottsville, South Porcupine, Val Caron, Val Therese
Outlook & Prospects for Web Designers and Developers in Northeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Northeast Region||<Not assigned>||2012-04-17|
Compared to other occupations, this is not a significant occupation in this region.
In Ontario, the outlook for web designers and developers is expected to be average for the period 2012-2013. This is a fairly small occupation in the province, with a workforce of about 9,800 at the time of the 2006 census. Employment will continue to benefit from the increasing use of the internet as a channel for marketing business products and services. However, the growing availability of pre-designed templates and the outsourcing of web-related work to lower-cost providers outside the province, will moderate demand for these workers. Web designers and developers who are able to develop customized web products for different computer platforms, including mobile devices, will have better employment opportunities. Many employers are seeking individuals who have above average creative abilities. Knowledge of the employer's business environment will be an asset in securing employment. This occupation has a younger age profile compared to most Ontario occupations. Some job openings will arise from turnover.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Feb 25 – Mar 01, 2013
- FedNor announces $500,000 in funding to North Eastern Ontario Communications Network Inc. in Timmins to expand broadband technology throughout Northeastern Ontario
Week of Jan 21 – Jan 25, 2013
- SNOLAB, an underground science laboratory in Sudbury, has received $22.5M in grants for the next five years
Week of Dec 03 – Dec 07, 2012
- Sudbury accounting firm, Collins Barrow, Sudbury-Nipissing LLP, expanded its office space and hired 12 additional staff
Week of Nov 19 – Nov 23, 2012
- Date Modified: