Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes managers who plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of utility companies or services or of heating oil distribution companies. The services provided include the distribution of water, electricity, natural gas and heating oil to residential, commercial and industrial consumers, waste disposal and waste recycling. Utilities managers are employed in public and private sector utilities and in heating oil distribution companies.
director of waste management, director of water pollution control, director, distribution systems – utilities, director, electrical power transmission operations, director, water supply, electric power plant manager, liquid waste facility manager, manager, distribution, refined petroleum products, manager, electric generating plant, manager, gas supply operations, manager, sewage treatment plant, water filtration plant manager.
- Water supply managers manage water filtration, purification processes and pumping operations, schedule and oversee the maintenance of plant equipment and prepare reports on water supply and water quality.
- Electrical power distribution managers manage the operations of electrical power distribution systems including generating stations, transmission stations and distribution networks. They may also plan and direct the distribution activities of a municipal electrical power establishment.
- Natural gas supply managers manage the delivery of gas to consumers, monitor supply inventories and control the recording of injections and withdrawals.
- Petroleum product distribution managers plan and direct the distribution of heating oil products to retail distributors and regional storage sites.
- Water pollution control managers manage the operations of a sewage treatment plant, schedule and direct maintenance of plant equipment, and prepare reports on water quality.
- Waste systems managers manage solid or liquid waste collection and disposal systems, train drivers in how to handle waste and ensure safe operation of disposal facilities.
Sudbury, Elliot Lake, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Algo, Blind River, Capreol, Cobalt, Englehart, Espanola, Garson Junction, Haileybury, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Mattawa, New Liskeard, Nickel Centre, Parry Sound, Powassan, Temiskaming Shores, Thessalon, Valley East, Blezard Valley, Carol Richard Park, Connaught Hill, Dowling, Elmview, Finntown, Flake, Guilletville, Hanmer, Laurentien, Levack, Lively, McCrea Heights, Naughton, Parkwood, Pinecrest, Porcupine, Pottsville, South Porcupine, Val Caron, Val Therese
Outlook & Prospects for Utilities Managers in Northeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Northern Health is proceeding with demolition of the old hospital in Fort St. John. Mierau Contractors is in charge of the project, which is expected to be complete in February 2014. NAPP Enterprises, from Prince George, will handle the demolition.
- Dawson Creek-based Hegge Construction has been awarded a $2.7M contract for work on the basement of The Calvin Kruk Centre for the Arts. Dawson Creek City Council anticipates that work on the centre will be completed by the summer of 2014.
- The Ontario government is providing $4.3M towards the expansion of Mohawk Garnet Inc., an abrasive garnet plant in the Sudbury area, creating 62 jobs
- Rentech Inc. will convert an idle mill in Wawa into an industrial wood pellet production facility next fall, employing 40 workers and supporting an additional 200 forest industry jobs in surrounding communities
- The Ministry of Natural Resources is closing its Kirkland Lake Fire Base, resulting in the layoff of 34 seasonal firefighters in the Timiskaming District
- Global mining company Vale has cut approximately 25 support and service positions in Sudbury
- George Stone and Sons has been awarded a $10.8M tender for a phase of the International Bridge project in Sault Ste. Marie. The construction project includes a new duty free shop and maintenance building. Twenty to 49 workers will be on site. (available in French only)
- Aecon Construction completed construction of a new maintenance patrol yard on Highway 69 in Sudbury, creating 55 new jobs
- Resolute Forest Products has laid off up to 70 workers at the Iroquois Falls¿ paper mill near Timmins
- Date Modified: