Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group carry out a variety of general labouring and routine wood processing activities and assist pulp mill and papermaking machine operators. They are employed by pulp and paper, and paper converting companies, sawmills, planing mills, wood treatment plants, waferboard plants and other wood processing companies.
beater operator helper – pulp and paper, chip bin attendant – wood processing, conveyor cleaner – pulp and paper, green wood chainman/woman – wood processing, grinder feeder – pulp and paper, labourer – pulp and paper, labourer – wood processing, lumber straightener – wood processing, plywood dryer feeder, sheeter helper – pulp and paper, utility man/woman – pulp and paper.
- Feed logs onto conveyor and into hopper of grinding machine and align logs manually, using crowbar, picaroon or other tools and equipment
- Load wood chips, pulpwood, sulphur and other processing materials onto conveyors or processing tanks, remove recyclable paper and pulp from pulp and papermaking machines and transport recyclable paper and pulp to plant processing machines and equipment using forklift or other powered equipment
- Sort, pile and transport lumber, veneer sheets, panelboards and similar wood products during various stages of wood processing, manually or with powered equipment
- Remove scrap lumber and wood chips for reprocessing using forklift or other powered equipment
- Feed conveyors, saws, drying machines and other equipment to process lumber, shingles, veneer, plywood and similar wood products
- Clean wood processing machines and equipment and work areas using shovels, hoses and other tools
- Assist other wood processing workers to operate, maintain and repair various machines and equipment and carry out other wood processing activities.
Brantford, Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne, Stoney Creek, Thorold, Welland, Dundas, Dunnville, Fort Erie, Grimsby, Lincoln, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Simcoe, Bay Beach, Beamsville, Carlisle, Crescent Beach, Crescent Park, Crystal Beach, Delhi, Flamboro, Fort Erie Beach, Fort Erie North, Mississauga Beach, Mulgrave, Oakhill Forest, Old Fort Erie, Point Abino, Port Dover, Ridgeway, Ridgewood, Rose Hill Estates, Shand's Corner, Thunder Bay, Waterford, Wavecrest, Waverly Beach, Woodhouse Acres
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Wood, Pulp and Paper Processing in Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- A ground breaking ceremony is being held this week for The Outlet Collection at Niagara in Niagara-on-the-Lake. About 1,000 jobs will be created during the construction of the outlet mall and over 1,500 jobs will be created upon completion
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- PowerBlades Inc., a subsidiary of REpower Systems, is hiring about 200 workers to manufacture wind turbine blades in Welland
- TSP Canada Towers Inc., a Thorold-based wind tower manufacturer, is looking to fill 150 positions with young local workers
- Roulston’s Pharmacy opened a new Wellness Centre in Simcoe this week, attracting five local doctors with additional space for another three physicians
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Vale opened its new $13M processing facility at its precious metals refinery in Port Colborne
- General Motors is recalling 114 production workers to the Glendale Powertrain plant in St. Catharines in June and 60 workers in the fall
- McMaster Children’s Hospital opened a pediatric ophthalmology centre in Hamilton
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Construction started on the new Town of Lincoln Community Complex. The $17.5M facility will include an arena, library and community rooms.
- Date Modified: