Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Editors review, evaluate and edit manuscripts, articles, news reports and other material for publication, broadcast or interactive media and co-ordinate the activities of writers, journalists and other staff. They are employed by publishing firms, magazines, journals, newspapers, radio and television networks and stations, and by companies and government departments that produce publications such as newsletters, handbooks, manuals and Web sites. Editors may also work on a freelance basis.
advertising editor, associate editor, contributing editor, copy editor, editor, editorial consultant, literary editor, manuscript editor, news editor, news service editor, sports editor, technical editor.
- Evaluate suitability of manuscripts, articles, news copy and wire service dispatches for publication, broadcast or electronic media and recommend or make changes in content, style and organization
- Read and edit copy to be published or broadcast to detect and correct errors in spelling, grammar and syntax, and shorten or lengthen copy as space or time requires
- Confer with authors, staff writers, reporters and others regarding revisions to copy
- Plan and implement layout or format of copy according to space or time allocations and significance of copy
- Plan and co-ordinate activities of staff and assure production deadlines are met
- Plan coverage of upcoming events and assign work accordingly
- Write or prepare introductions, marketing and promotional materials, biographical notes, indexes and other text
- May negotiate royalties with authors and arrange for payment of freelance staff.
Editors may specialize in a particular subject area, such as news, sports or features, or in a particular type of publication, such as books, magazines, newspapers or manuals.
Brantford, Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne, Stoney Creek, Thorold, Welland, Dundas, Dunnville, Fort Erie, Grimsby, Lincoln, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Simcoe, Bay Beach, Beamsville, Carlisle, Crescent Beach, Crescent Park, Crystal Beach, Delhi, Flamboro, Fort Erie Beach, Fort Erie North, Mississauga Beach, Mulgrave, Oakhill Forest, Old Fort Erie, Point Abino, Port Dover, Ridgeway, Ridgewood, Rose Hill Estates, Shand's Corner, Thunder Bay, Waterford, Wavecrest, Waverly Beach, Woodhouse Acres
Outlook & Prospects for Editors in Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Feb 18 – Feb 22, 2013
- St. Catharines-based IIX Corp. will receive up to $225,000 from the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario to upgrade technology and create about 12 jobs
Week of Dec 03 – Dec 07, 2012
- Sun Media Corporation closed two Niagara-area newspapers, and will no longer publish the Dunnville Chronicle and West Niagara News
- Date Modified: