Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Côte-Nord Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Côte-Nord region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Hardware store Canac has invested $5M to open a second branch in Sherbrooke in mid-August. In addition to thirty-some full-time ongoing positions, 45 part-time positions are offered. (available in French only)
- Hydro Culture invests $2M in Beloeil and creates 15 new jobs (available in French only)
- A $78.5M investment for the construction of five new schools in the Montérégie region (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Built at a cost of $1.9M, rehabilitation centre Kapatakan Gilles-Jourdain of Maliotenam, adapted for Innuses subject to judicial control, will proceed with the hiring of 11 employees. The opening is scheduled for July. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Twenty-some forest workers of Scierie des Outardes in Baie-Comeau lost their jobs (available in French only)
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Restaurant Jardin oriental of Sept-Îles will shut down permanently on May 26 and will lay off thirty-some employees (available in French only)
- Date Modified: