Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Côte-Nord Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Côte-Nord Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-12-12|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Côte-Nord region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- A multi-purpose centre will be built in Sept-¿les thanks to an $11M investment (available in French only)
- The A.-W. Gagn¿ vocational training centre in Sept-¿les will be investing $5M in retrofits (available in French only)
- The Sept-¿les socio-recreational centre will be investing $3M to build a new recreational water pond (available in French only)
- Following a $1.5-million investment, the performance hall of Port-Cartier-based Café-théâtre Graffiti will be expanded. (available in French only)
- The employees of Baie-Comeau¿s Resolute Forest Products accepted the employer¿s request to cut 93 positions. Of the affected workers, approximately 60 are eligible for retirement. Thus, they avoid abolishing 150 positions. (available in French only)
- Thanks to an $11-million investment, two Air Médic ambulance airplanes will be operational in Chibougamau and Sept-îles. Four jobs are available in each city: one pilot, one co-pilot and two nurses. (available in French only)
- Thanks to an investment of close to $12M, a new elementary school, l¿école du Boisé, opened in Sept-Îles (available in French only)
- A new provincial prison will be built in Sept-Îles for 2016, at a cost of $90.9M. Work will begin in the fall. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: