Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Electricians in this unit group lay out, assemble, install, test, troubleshoot and repair electrical wiring, fixtures, control devices and related equipment in buildings and other structures. They are employed by electrical contractors and maintenance departments of buildings and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
apprentice electrician, construction electrician, construction electrician apprentice, domestic and rural electrician, electrician.
- Read and interpret drawings, circuit diagrams and electrical code specifications to determine wiring layouts for new or existing installations
- Pull wire through conduits and through holes in walls and floors
- Install brackets and hangers to support electrical equipment
- Install, replace and repair lighting fixtures and electrical control and distribution equipment, such as switches, relays and circuit breaker panels
- Splice, join and connect wire to fixtures and components to form circuits
- Test continuity of circuits using test equipment to ensure compatibility and safety of system, following installation, replacement or repair
- Troubleshoot and isolate faults in electrical and electronic systems and remove and replace faulty components
- Connect electrical power to audio and visual communication equipment, signalling devices and heating and cooling systems
- Conduct preventive maintenance programs and keep maintenance records.
Outlook & Prospects for Electricians (Except Industrial and Power System) in Côte-Nord Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Côte-Nord region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- Canadian National has put on hold its project to build more than 800 km of track between Sept-îles and Schefferville (available in French only)
Week of Jan 28 – Feb 01, 2013
- A new $4.7M building dedicated to the industrial maintenance technology program will be constructed at the Sept-Îles CEGEP (available in French only)
Week of Jan 14 – Jan 18, 2013
- Construction Voyer of Laval will build 105 new single-family dwellings and take on care of the land and streets in the Ville de Grasse sector in 2013. The project, worth over $35M, has already received a favourable welcome in Sept-Îles. (available in French only)
Week of Sep 24 – Sep 28, 2012
- The cost of construction for the route to bypass the municipality of LongueRive, in HauteCôteNord, is estimated at $78M (available in French only)
- Date Modified: