Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Crane Operators</i> (7371), <i>Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction</i> (7372), <i>Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane)</i> (7421), <i>Longshore Workers</i> (7451), <i>Material Handlers</i> (7452), <i>Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators</i> (7422), <i>Railway Track Maintenance Workers</i> (7432) and <i>Water Well Drillers</i> (7373). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
excavating contractor, foreman/woman, demolition, foreman/woman, drilling and blasting – construction, foreman/woman, logging road construction, foreman/woman, railway gang, foreman/woman, railway track maintenance, paving contractor, pipeline construction supervisor, road maintenance foreman/woman, section foreman/woman, railway, supervisor, heavy equipment operators, supervisor, oil field construction, supervisor, water well drilling, track foreman/woman – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews in Côte-Nord Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Côte-Nord region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- Canadian National has put on hold its project to build more than 800 km of track between Sept-îles and Schefferville (available in French only)
Week of Jan 28 – Feb 01, 2013
- A new $4.7M building dedicated to the industrial maintenance technology program will be constructed at the Sept-Îles CEGEP (available in French only)
Week of Jan 14 – Jan 18, 2013
- Construction Voyer of Laval will build 105 new single-family dwellings and take on care of the land and streets in the Ville de Grasse sector in 2013. The project, worth over $35M, has already received a favourable welcome in Sept-Îles. (available in French only)
Week of Sep 24 – Sep 28, 2012
- The cost of construction for the route to bypass the municipality of LongueRive, in HauteCôteNord, is estimated at $78M (available in French only)
- Date Modified: