Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers, not elsewhere classified, who perform various technical therapy and assessment functions. Some may assist professionals such as audiologists, speech-language pathologists, ophthalmologists and physiotherapists. They are employed in hospitals, clinics, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, educational institutions and in the private practices of the professionals they assist. Massage therapists may also be self-employed.
audio prosthetist, audiology technician, audiometric assistant, audiometric technician, hearing aid consultant, massage therapist (MT), ophthalmic assistant, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic technologist, physical rehabilitation technician, physiotherapy technician, speech technician, speech therapist aide, speech therapy aide.
- Audio prosthetists examine clients to determine appropriate type of hearing aid; may test patient's hearing; take ear impressions for use in the manufacture of the devices; fit and adjust hearing aids; and perform follow-up examinations and readjustments.
- Audiometric assistants administer, under the supervision of audiologists, tests such as speech reception and speech discrimination to determine the hearing thresholds of patients; and record these test results.
- Communication assistants carry out remedial programs, under the supervision of speech-language pathologists, to rehabilitate patients with communicative disorders.
- Massage therapists assess clients by conducting range of motion and muscle testing and propose treatment plans; treat soft tissues and joints of the body through soft tissue manipulation, hydrotherapy, remedial exercise programs and client self-help programs; provide courses of treatment for medical conditions and injuries or wellness maintenance; maintain records of treatments given; and may work with other health care professionals when appropriate.
- Ophthalmic medical assistants operate ophthalmic testing and measuring instruments to aid ophthalmologists to assess patients' vision; record test results; assist ophthalmologists in office surgery; and administer eye drops, ointments and medications as directed by ophthalmologists.
- Physical rehabilitation technicians carry out, under physiotherapists' direction, treatment programs such as massage, thermotherapy, traction and hydrotherapy to rehabilitate injured or disabled individuals.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical Occupations in Therapy and Assessment in Côte-Nord Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Côte-Nord region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 10 – Jun 14, 2013
- ArcelorMittal, which owns an iron ore extraction complex in Fermont, is continuing to expand. Some 725 jobs will be added to the existing 1,000 over the next 30 years. (available in French only)
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Rio Tinto Fer et Titane of Havre-Saint-Pierre will temporarily lay off 330 people for a 7-week period by the end of the year (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- The difficult global aluminum market has forced Alcoa in Baie-Comeau to eliminate 500 jobs over the next 24 months (available in French only)
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- With a $220M investment, the new deep-water quay of the Port de Sept-Îles in Pointe-Nord is the biggest maritime dockyard in Canada (available in French only)
- Tourtist attraction Le Jardin des Glaciers of Baie-Comeau will shut down. Four permanent positions will be lost and forty-some seasonal workers will not be called back this summer. (available in French only)
- Available for a month now, the new Job Nord Québec portal allows companies of the Côte-Nord, Saguenay Lac St-Jean, Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Nord-du-Québec regions to recruit (available in French only)
- Date Modified: