Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Fabric cutters cut fabric to make parts for garments, linens and other articles. Fur cutters cut fur pelts to make parts for garments and other fur articles. Leather cutters cut leather to make parts for shoes, garments and other leather articles. Fabric cutters are employed by clothing and textile manufacturers and other manufacturers of fabric products. Fur cutters are employed by furriers and fur products manufacturers. Leather cutters are employed by shoe and other leather products manufacturers.
clothing cutter, fabric cutter, fur cutter, glove cutter, leather cutter, sample cutter, shoe cutter.
- Place patterns on top of layers of fabric and cut fabric following patterns, using electric or manual knives, cutters or computer numerically controlled (CNC) cutting devices
- Adjust cutting technique to type of fabric and style of garment
- May cut fabric samples.
- Cut fur skins in diagonal strips to specified length and shape of pelt using furrier's knives and cutters
- Number pelts to indicate their location on pattern
- May sort or match skins, and may prepare fur samples.
- Select leather and cutting dies for leather goods and shoe parts according to specifications
- Position leather on cutting bed of machine, maximizing usage according to skin grain, skin flaws and skin stretch
- Operate clicker or punch press to stretch leather
- Operate machine to cut leather or cut single leather skins by hand to make leather products
- May cut leather samples.
Outlook & Prospects for Fabric, Fur and Leather Cutters in Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||<Not assigned>||2009-12-30|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- In La Sarre, approximately 30 persons are working on Clifton Star¿s open-pit mine Duparquet project (available in French only)
- The RCM of Témiscamingue¿s recycling plant closed its doors on November 22, affecting a dozen contract employees (available in French only)
- QMX Gold will be progressively laying off its 105 employees until fall 2014 at the Lac Herbin mine in Val-d¿Or (available in French only)
- On November 27, Iamgold announced that it was cutting close to 40 jobs and temporarily laying off approximately 20 more employees at the Westwood mine located close to Rouyn-Noranda (available in French only)
- Waste management company Sani-Tri, of Rouyn-Noranda, is closing its doors; about a hundred workers are losing their jobs. (available in French only)
- According to the revised profile of labour force needs, Rouyn-Noranda's Centre de sant¿ et des services sociaux needs 17 additional nurses (available in French only)
- The Agence de la sant¿ et des services sociaux de l'Abitibi-T¿miscamingue has an annual budget of $1.4M dedicated to granting incentives and scholarships in the recruitment of doctors (available in French only)
- Date Modified: