Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Railway conductors co-ordinate and supervise the activities of passenger and freight train crew members. Brakemen check train brakes and other systems and equipment prior to train run, and assist railway conductors in activities en route. They are employed by railway transport companies.
brakeman/woman, freight train conductor, front-end brakeman/woman, passenger train conductor, railway conductor, road freight brakeman/woman, tail-end brakeman/woman, train conductor.
- Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of passenger and freight train crew members (except locomotive engineers) to ensure train operations are in accordance with schedule, train orders and code of operating rules
- Receive train orders and explain orders to brakemen/women, locomotive engineer and other crew members
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to give and receive train operation information
- Collect fares on board passenger trains, announce approaching train stops and answer passenger enquiries
- Prepare train run reports.
- Check train systems and equipment such as air conditioning and heating systems, brakes and brake hoses prior to train run
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to aid in the movement and operation of train
- Receive orders from traffic controllers, observe signals and track conditions and open and close track switches
- Set and release hand brakes and connect air brake hoses to couple and switch passenger or freight cars, making minor repairs to couplings, air hoses and wheel-bearing boxes as required
- Assist in collecting fares and helping passengers on and off train.
Outlook & Prospects for Railway Conductors and Brakemen/women in Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||<Not assigned>||2011-12-21|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 10 – Jun 14, 2013
- Construction Norascon of Amos has won a $1.7M contract to rebuild the Chemin Senator intersection in Rouyn-Noranda (available in French only)
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Following a $700M investment, the Westwood mine was inaugurated on June 4th, which will manage 700 jobs for 19 years in Abitibi (available in French only)
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Seventy jobs will be progressively terminated by September 13th at the Centre d'Interaction Proximédia, a call centre located in Rouyn-Noranda (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Two training sessions for working in the mines will be offered by Formation Mirabel in Amos (available in French only)
- Date Modified: