Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes those who oversee and administer recreation, sports and fitness programs and activities, provide consulting services, conduct research and develop programs and policies related to recreation, sports and physical fitness. They are employed by federal, provincial and municipal governments, recreation, sports, fitness and health care facilities, retirement homes, community centres, sports and fitness consulting firms and organizations, or they may be self-employed.
camp co-ordinator, exercise physiologist, exercise therapist, fitness appraiser, fitness consultant, fitness supervisor, kinesiologist, recreation consultant, registered kinesiologist, sports consultant, sports policy analyst, sports program supervisor.
- Kinesiologists conduct fitness and human movement tests and assessments. They design and implement programs to maintain, rehabilitate or enhance movement and performance in the areas of sports, recreation, work and exercise.
- Fitness consultants provide expert advice and consulting services to community groups, corporations, schools and other organizations in the design and development of fitness programs and activities. They may write proposals and press statements for corporations, industry and the fitness community.
- Recreation consultants provide expert advice and consulting service to communities, corporations, institutions and other organizations in the design and development of recreation programs and activities.
- Sports consultants provide expert advice and consulting service to sports associations and other organizations in the design, development and administration of sports programs and activities.
- Recreation, sports and fitness policy analysts conduct research and develop government policies related to recreation, sports, fitness and athletic safety and standards.
- Recreation, sports and fitness program supervisors develop, plan and co-ordinate sports, fitness and recreation programs, and special sporting events.
- Fitness appraisers conduct fitness tests and assessments, and design, develop and deliver fitness counselling.
- Exercise therapists conduct fitness tests and assessments, and design, develop and deliver rehabilitative exercise programs in occupational and related health settings.
Education & Job Requirements for Recreation, Sports and Fitness Program Supervisors and Consultants in Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region
Education and job requirements can vary by region. Workers in regulated occupations require a licence to work legally. Workers in non-regulated occupations do not require a licence, but employers may have other certification requirements.
Employment requirements are prerequisites generally needed to enter an occupation.
- A university degree in recreation administration, sports administration, physical education, kinesiology or related discipline combined with some work experience in a related field
A college diploma in a recreation, sports or fitness program combined with some experience in a related field is usually required.
- Kinesiologists usually require a master's degree in kinesiology.
- Certification for kinesiologists is available through the Canadian Kinesiology Alliance.
- Recreation, sports and fitness program supervisors require experience as program leaders or instructors in recreation, sports and fitness. Certification in program specialization, such as fitness or lifesaving, may also be required.
- A Certified Fitness Appraiser certificate may be required for fitness consultants and appraisers.
Regulation by Province/Territory
Some provinces and territories regulate certain professions and trades while others do not. If you have a licence to work in one province, your licence may not be accepted in other provinces or territories. Consult the table below to determine in which province or territory your occupation/trade is regulated.
|Province and Territory||Regulation|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||
|Prince Edward Island||
Programs in the order in which they are most likely to supply graduates to this occupation (Recreation, Sports and Fitness Program Supervisors and Consultants):
- Health and Physical Education/Fitness
- Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Business Administration, Management and Operations
- Education, General
- Social Work
Information for Newcomers
Provincial credential assessment services assess academic credentials for a fee. Contact a regulatory body or other organization to determine if you need an assessment before spending money on one that is not required or recognized.
The assessment will tell you how your education compares with educational standards in the province or territory where you are planning to settle can help you in your job search.
- British Columbia - International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)
- Alberta - International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
- Saskatchewan - International Qualifications Assessment Service The Government of Saskatchewan provides this service through an interprovincial agreement with the Government of Alberta.
- Manitoba - Academic Credentials Assessment Service – Manitoba (ACAS)
- Québec - Service des évaluations comparatives d’études (SECE)
- Northwest Territories - International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS). The Government of the Northwest Territories provides this service through an interprovincial agreement with the Government of Alberta.
- Date Modified: