Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers, retail and wholesale, prepare standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale in retail or wholesale food establishments. They are employed in supermarkets, grocery stores, butcher shops and fish stores or may be self-employed. Butchers who are supervisors or heads of departments are included in this group.
butcher apprentice, butcher, retail, fishmonger – retail, head butcher – wholesale, meat cutter – retail or wholesale, supermarket meat cutter.
- Cut, trim, and otherwise prepare standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale at self-serve counters or according to customers' orders
- Grind meats and slice cooked meats using powered grinders and slicing machines
- Prepare special displays of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish
- Shape, lace and tie roasts and other meats, poultry or fish and may wrap prepared meats, poultry, fish and shellfish
- Manage inventory, keep records of sales and determine amount, product line and freshness of products according to company and customer requirements
- Ensure food storage conditions are adequate
- May supervise other butchers, or meat cutters or fishmongers.
Wages for Butchers, Meat Cutters and Fishmongers – Retail and Wholesale in Parklands Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
Due to data limitations, the wage for this occupation cannot be published. Please refer to the wage published for this occupation at the provincial or territorial level.
- Date Modified: