Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Optometrists examine eyes, prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses and recommend treatments such as exercises to correct vision problems or ocular disorders. They work in private practice, clinics and community health centres.
- Examine patients' eyes, conduct tests and use ophthalmoscopes, biomicroscopes and other specialized instruments to determine visual efficiency
- Prescribe treatment (excluding surgery) to conserve, improve and correct vision and other ocular disorders
- Prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses, educate and counsel patients on contact lens use and care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements, working distances and safety factors
- Refer patients to ophthalmologists or other physicians and surgeons for treatment of ocular or other diseases or conditions.
Optometrists may specialize in fitting visual aids for people who are partially blind, fitting contact lenses or correcting special vision problems.
Outlook & Prospects for Optometrists in Southeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Mar 11 – Mar 15, 2013
- Tantalum Mining Corporation will be laying off 35 workers on March 28 at its Tanco mine near Lac du Bonnet
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- On February 23, 2013 Extra Foods in Steinbach will close its doors permanently and 35 people will be laid off
- On January 25, 2013 a new Walmart Supercentre opened in Steinbach with 176 employees
Week of Nov 19 – Nov 23, 2012
Week of Oct 01 – Oct 05, 2012
- Phoenix Modular Housing is building a new modular housing plant in Alexander, which will create 45 new jobs by next summer. The company was newly created with a goal to improve the quality of First Nations housing.
- Date Modified: