Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators monitor and operate petroleum, petrochemical and chemical plants and monitor, adjust and maintain processing units and equipment in these plants. They are employed by petroleum and natural gas processing, pipeline and petrochemical companies, industrial, agricultural and specialty chemical and pharmaceutical companies.
acid plant operator, cell room operator, chlor-alkali plant, chemical process operator, chief operator – chemical processing, fractionator operator, gas field operator, gas plant operator, gas recovery operator, lead operator – chemical processing, liquefaction plant operator, master operator – chemical processing, panel operator – chemical processing, petroleum process operator, pharmaceutical processing operator, pipeline compressor station operator, process technician, refinery operator, senior operating technician, senior operator – chemical processing.
- Operate electronic or computerized control panel from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units
- Control process start-up, shut-down and troubleshooting
- Monitor outside process equipment
- Adjust equipment, valves, pumps and controls and process equipment
- Authorize or co-sign maintenance work orders
- Shut down, isolate and prepare process units or production equipment for maintenance
- Sample products, perform tests, record data, carry out statistical process control on process operations, and write production logs
- Develop operator procedures for normal operation, start-up or shut-down of unit
- Participate in safety audits and programs and provide emergency response when required
- Ensure adherence to safety and environmental regulations
- May rotate between different processing units during shift cycles
- May work in a team with shared supervisory responsibilities and participate in training other workers
- May be cross-trained in a skilled trade and work in the trade during shift cycles.
Wages for Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Process Operators in Northern Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
Due to data limitations, the wage for this occupation cannot be published. Please refer to the wage published for this occupation at the provincial or territorial level.
- Date Modified: