Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Educational counsellors advise current and prospective students on educational issues, career planning and personal development and co-ordinate the provision of counselling services to students, parents, teachers, faculty and staff. They are employed by school boards, universities and colleges, technical institutes, correctional facilities and government agencies.
academic counsellor, educational counsellor, guidance counsellor, school counsellor, student counsellor.
- Counsel students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, time tables and scheduling, school adjustment, attendance problems and study skills
- Counsel students regarding career or vocational issues including career exploration and planning, résumé preparation, job interview skills and job search strategies and make available to them a wide range of educational and occupational information
- Counsel students regarding personal and social issues such as substance abuse, depression, sexuality, eating disorders, anxiety, self-esteem, family problems, relationship and interpersonal skills and anger management
- Counsel students in crisis situations such as dealing with the death of a friend or family member, suicidal tendencies and abuse situations
- Consult with teachers and parents or faculty and other professionals such as psychologists, speech therapists and social workers regarding various issues and concerns, and with administrators and community agencies regarding programs and referrals
- Co-ordinate co-op and school-to-work transition programs, and the provision of counselling and information services to students, parents, teachers, faculty and staff such as career information services, professional development sessions and interactions with other educational institutions
- Supervise peer counselling programs in school settings
- Administer and interpret standardized intelligence, personality, vocational, aptitude and interest tests
- Develop and co-ordinate study skills groups or workshops in colleges and universities on topics such as note-taking, test or examination anxiety and preparation strategies and time management skills
- Co-ordinate or participate in student orientation programs in colleges or universities
- Arrange for employers to recruit graduating college and university students, and students for co-op education work terms
- Visit colleges and secondary schools to provide academic information to prospective students, their parents and educational counsellors
- May supervise field experience for graduate students in counselling
- May teach regular classes.
Outlook & Prospects for Educational Counsellors in Prince Albert Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Prince Albert Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Increased funding will create additional level-four electrician apprenticeship training opportunities at SIAST Woodland campus in Prince Albert
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- The Prince Albert and District Community Service Centre is receiving support from the Government of Canada to assist youth with job finding skills
Week of Mar 11 – Mar 15, 2013
- Recently, between 450 and 500 Grade 11 students from the North East School Division attended a career fair at the Kerry Vickar Centre in Melfort, where they learned about various careers and post-secondary opportunities
Week of Aug 06 – Aug 10, 2012
- Date Modified: