Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Bricklayers lay bricks, concrete blocks, stone and other similar materials to construct or repair walls, arches, chimneys, fireplaces and other structures in accordance with blueprints and specifications. They are employed by construction companies and bricklaying contractors or they may be self-employed.
apprentice bricklayer, bricklayer, brickmason, refractory bricklayer, stonecutter, stonemason.
- Read sketches and blueprints to calculate materials required
- Cut and trim bricks and concrete blocks to specification using hand and power tools
- Prepare and lay bricks, concrete blocks, stone, structural tiles and similar materials to construct or repair walls, foundations and other structures in residential, industrial and commercial construction
- Lay bricks or other masonry units to build residential or commercial chimneys and fireplaces
- Lay radial bricks to build masonry shells of industrial chimneys
- Lay or install firebricks to line industrial chimneys and smokestacks
- Line or reline furnaces, kilns, boilers and similar installations using refractory or acid-resistant bricks, refractory concretes, plastic refractories and other materials
- Lay bricks, stone or similar materials to provide veneer facing to walls or other surfaces
- Construct and install prefabricated masonry units
- Lay bricks or other masonry units to build patios, garden walls and other decorative installations
- May restore, clean or paint existing masonry structures.
Outlook & Prospects for Bricklayers in Northeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Kenalex Development Inc. will start installing water and sewer services for the construction of a 71-lot subdivision in North Bay
Week of Sep 10 – Sep 14, 2012
- Looby Construction Limited to start a bridge replacement project in September on Highway 11 near Opasatika, creating 70 jobs
Week of Jul 02 – Jul 06, 2012
- E & E Seegmiller Ltd. rebuilding Highway 11 near Powassan in Parry Sound District, creating about 160 jobs
- Aecon Construction and Materials Limited rebuilding Highway 11 near Marten River in Nipissing District, creating about 50 jobs
Week of May 07 – May 11, 2012
- Province invests $24M for highway improvements near North Peace, creating jobs
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. announced plans to locate its chromite processing facility in Capreol, near Sudbury, creating hundreds of construction and mine processing jobs
- Date Modified: