Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in mechanical engineering fields such as the design, development, maintenance and testing of machines, components, tools, heating and ventilating systems, power generation and power conversion plants, manufacturing plants and equipment. They are employed by consulting engineering, manufacturing and processing companies, institutions and government departments.
HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) technologist, aeronautical technologist, heating designer, machine designer, marine engineering technologist, mechanical engineering technician, mechanical engineering technologist, mechanical technologist, mould designer, thermal station technician, tool and die designer, tool designer.
- Prepare and interpret conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings, and specifications for machines and components, power transmission systems, process piping, heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems
- Prepare cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Conduct tests and analyses of machines, components and materials to determine their performance, strength, response to stress and other characteristics
- Design moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Inspect mechanical installations and construction
- Prepare contract and tender documents
- Supervise, monitor and inspect mechanical installations and construction projects
- Prepare standards and schedules and supervise mechanical maintenance programs or operations of mechanical plants.
- Assist in preparing conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings and specifications
- Carry out a limited range of mechanical tests and analyses of machines, components and materials
- Assist in the design of moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Assist in inspection of mechanical installations and construction projects
- Participate in the installation, repair and maintenance of machinery and equipment.
Outlook & Prospects for Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians in Northeast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- West Fraser Mills’ Chetwynd Forest Industries division is proceeding with Phase 2 of a $35M Chetwynd sawmill upgrade that will enable the company to maintain a two-shift operation with increased production
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Kenalex Development Inc. will start installing water and sewer services for the construction of a 71-lot subdivision in North Bay
Week of Feb 18 – Feb 22, 2013
- Teck Resources Limited will hire 500 workers for their Tumbler Ridge Quintette coal mine, which is estimated to open in mid-2014 upon federal and provincial regulatory approval
Week of Dec 03 – Dec 07, 2012
- Northern Lights College in Tumbler Ridge is developing a new underground mining curriculum in response to industry demand for skilled workers
- Date Modified: