Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Crane Operators</i> (7371), <i>Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction</i> (7372), <i>Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane)</i> (7421), <i>Longshore Workers</i> (7451), <i>Material Handlers</i> (7452), <i>Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators</i> (7422), <i>Railway Track Maintenance Workers</i> (7432) and <i>Water Well Drillers</i> (7373). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
excavating contractor, foreman/woman, demolition, foreman/woman, drilling and blasting – construction, foreman/woman, logging road construction, foreman/woman, railway gang, foreman/woman, railway track maintenance, paving contractor, pipeline construction supervisor, road maintenance foreman/woman, section foreman/woman, railway, supervisor, heavy equipment operators, supervisor, oil field construction, supervisor, water well drilling, track foreman/woman – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews in West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Construction has started in Corner Brook to redevelop the former Regina High School as an intermediate school, scheduled to open in September, 2014. Marco Services Ltd. was awarded a contract worth nearly $12M to undertake this work.
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The provincial government Dept. of Transportation and Works has issued a $43M tender to begin the widening and upgrading of Phase III and completion of Phase I and II of the Trans Labrador Highway
- The provincial government has awarded a contract of $137,000 to Island Roofing Co. Ltd. of Cox’s Cove to repair the roof at Gros Morne Academy in Rocky Harbour. Work will begin this spring.
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- The provincial government has announced $227M in funding over a three-year period for the construction of a new 260-bed health care facility in Corner Brook. The design work will begin in 2013, and construction is expected to start in 2015.
Week of Mar 11 – Mar 15, 2013
- The provincial government has awarded a contract worth $165,000 to Noble's Construction of Springdale for upgrades to Our Lady of Mercy Elementary School and Appalachia High School in St. George's
- Date Modified: