Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Crane Operators</i> (7371), <i>Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction</i> (7372), <i>Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane)</i> (7421), <i>Longshore Workers</i> (7451), <i>Material Handlers</i> (7452), <i>Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators</i> (7422), <i>Railway Track Maintenance Workers</i> (7432) and <i>Water Well Drillers</i> (7373). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
excavating contractor, foreman/woman, demolition, foreman/woman, drilling and blasting – construction, foreman/woman, logging road construction, foreman/woman, railway gang, foreman/woman, railway track maintenance, paving contractor, pipeline construction supervisor, road maintenance foreman/woman, section foreman/woman, railway, supervisor, heavy equipment operators, supervisor, oil field construction, supervisor, water well drilling, track foreman/woman – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews in West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Oct 07 - Oct 11, 2013
- The provincial government announced $7.3M in funding for the reconstruction of William Gillett Academy in Charlottetown, Labrador
- The provincial government awarded a $944,000 contract to Humber Valley Paving for road work on the Port au Port Peninsula
- The provincial government announced $955,000 in funding for upgrades to the Lewin Parkway (Ring Road) in Corner Brook
- The provincial government announced $378,000 in funding for water and road infrastructure projects in the Humber Valley area. Funding for this project is cost-shared between the provincial government and the Towns of Deer Lake and Hampden.
- The provincial government has awarded a tender valued at $118,000 to the Whitestone Group Inc. of Stephenville to replace the siding at Stephenville Middle School.
- The provincial governments' Community Capital Grants Program announced $13,000 in funding to assist with improvements and repairs to its rowing facility in Labrador
- The provincial government announced $301,000 in municipal capital works funding for road upgrades to the Town of Conche, NL
- Date Modified: