Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes heating, refrigeration, air conditioning, millwrighting and elevator installation trade contractors who own and operate their own businesses. This group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in unit groups within the following minor groups: <i>Machinery and Transportation Equipment Mechanics (Except Motor Vehicle)</i> (731), <i>Automotive Service Technicians</i> (732) and <i>Other Mechanics</i> (733). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the unit group descriptions.
contractor, heating systems, foreman/woman, air conditioning and refrigeration mechanics, foreman/woman, aircraft mechanics and inspectors, foreman/woman, electrical mechanics, foreman/woman, heating systems mechanics, foreman/woman, heavy-duty equipment mechanics, foreman/woman, printing machine repairers, foreman/woman, railway car repairers, foreman/woman, railway equipment maintenance inspectors, foreman/woman, textile machine mechanics, supervisor, aircraft maintenance engineers (AME), supervisor, appliance repair shop, supervisor, industrial mechanics, supervisor, motor vehicle repair shop, supervisor, small-engine repair shop.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who repair and maintain aircraft, railway locomotives and cars, industrial machinery and equipment, construction and other heavy equipment, textile equipment, printing machines, heating equipment and furnaces, transformers and other electrical equipment, motor vehicles, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment, electric appliances and other equipment, such as motorcycles, outboard motors and snowmobiles
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Ensure that standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades in West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Newfoundland and Labrador.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Avalon Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||N/A||N/A|
|South Coast--Burin Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
|West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- October 2013 | (PDF, 550 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 441 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 441 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 507 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 242 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 441 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 525 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 239 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 436 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 478 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 266 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Talon Energy and Fleetway Facility Services have been awarded a major subsea fabrication contract from the Husky Energy White Rose Extension Project. Talon Energy is hiring welders, electricians, inspectors and administrators.
- Rambler Metals and Mining is aggressively looking at options to re-open the Little Deer and Whalesback copper mines in Green Bay. Rambler plans to work on these properties in 2014.
- The construction phase at the Vale nickel processing plant in Long Harbour is now complete. The start-up phase will employ 1,500 people at peak production, and 500 permanent technicians when the plant moves into full production.
- The provincial government has announced a moratorium on hydraulic fracking in NL until further reviews have been completed and policies developed (available in French only)
- The Four Corners Mining Corporation's project has discovered an area of platinum and palladium on the Burgeo Highway. The company plans to do further detailed soil surveys to determine the extent of the find.
- Date Modified: