Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes heating, refrigeration, air conditioning, millwrighting and elevator installation trade contractors who own and operate their own businesses. This group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in unit groups within the following minor groups: <i>Machinery and Transportation Equipment Mechanics (Except Motor Vehicle)</i> (731), <i>Automotive Service Technicians</i> (732) and <i>Other Mechanics</i> (733). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the unit group descriptions.
contractor, heating systems, foreman/woman, air conditioning and refrigeration mechanics, foreman/woman, aircraft mechanics and inspectors, foreman/woman, electrical mechanics, foreman/woman, heating systems mechanics, foreman/woman, heavy-duty equipment mechanics, foreman/woman, printing machine repairers, foreman/woman, railway car repairers, foreman/woman, railway equipment maintenance inspectors, foreman/woman, textile machine mechanics, supervisor, aircraft maintenance engineers (AME), supervisor, appliance repair shop, supervisor, industrial mechanics, supervisor, motor vehicle repair shop, supervisor, small-engine repair shop.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who repair and maintain aircraft, railway locomotives and cars, industrial machinery and equipment, construction and other heavy equipment, textile equipment, printing machines, heating equipment and furnaces, transformers and other electrical equipment, motor vehicles, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment, electric appliances and other equipment, such as motorcycles, outboard motors and snowmobiles
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Ensure that standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades in West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Newfoundland and Labrador.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Avalon Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||N/A||N/A|
|South Coast--Burin Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
|West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- The Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board (C-NLOPB) approved a development plan for the South White Rose extension. This allows the proponents to move ahead with their plans.
- The Iron Ore Company of Canada has laid off some of its executives in an effort to reduce costs. However, it is still growing its mining activities in Labrador.
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Century Iron Mines of Toronto are in a financial position to move ahead with plans to develop an iron ore mine in Labrador-Quebec. Production is expected to begin in 2015.
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- The provincial government has loaned $475,000 to Burton’s Cove Logging and Lumber Limited of Burton's Cove for working capital. The loan is to help secure inventory and assist the company in obtaining sawlogs from Corner Brook Pulp and Paper.
- The Eastern School District has voted to overturn the decision to close Whitbourne Elementary School and Epiphany Elementary in Heart's Desire-Islington. The district will hold another round of community consultations before making a decision.
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Husky Energy has reached a landmark of 200M barrels of oil from the White Rose field. Drilling has also started on the first gas injection well at the South White Rose and expects to be in full production by 2014.
- Date Modified: