Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Construction estimators analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical construction projects. They are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and major electrical, mechanical and trade contractors, or they may be self-employed.
chief estimator – construction, construction estimator, cost estimator – construction, principal estimator – construction, professional quantity surveyor, quantity surveyor – construction.
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of a project
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates
- Manage and co-ordinate construction projects and prepare construction progress schedules.
Estimators may specialize in estimating costs for structural, electrical or mechanical construction projects.
Outlook & Prospects for Construction Estimators in West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Construction has started in Corner Brook to redevelop the former Regina High School as an intermediate school, scheduled to open in September, 2014. Marco Services Ltd. was awarded a contract worth nearly $12M to undertake this work.
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The provincial government Dept. of Transportation and Works has issued a $43M tender to begin the widening and upgrading of Phase III and completion of Phase I and II of the Trans Labrador Highway
- The provincial government has awarded a contract of $137,000 to Island Roofing Co. Ltd. of Cox’s Cove to repair the roof at Gros Morne Academy in Rocky Harbour. Work will begin this spring.
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- The provincial government has announced $227M in funding over a three-year period for the construction of a new 260-bed health care facility in Corner Brook. The design work will begin in 2013, and construction is expected to start in 2015.
Week of Mar 11 – Mar 15, 2013
- The provincial government has awarded a contract worth $165,000 to Noble's Construction of Springdale for upgrades to Our Lady of Mercy Elementary School and Appalachia High School in St. George's
- Date Modified: