Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Drillers in this unit group operate mobile drilling machines to bore blast holes in open-pit mines and quarries and to bore holes for blasting and for building foundations at construction sites. Blasters in this unit group fill blast holes with explosives and detonate explosives to dislodge coal, ore and rock or to demolish structures. They are employed by mining, quarrying and construction companies and by drilling and blasting contractors.
blaster – surface mining, blaster, construction, driller, construction, foundation drill operator, open-pit blaster, open-pit driller, rotary drilling machine operator.
- Drive and operate tracked or truck-mounted rotary drilling, air-track or other drilling machines to bore large blast holes to specified depths at staked positions in open-pit mine or quarry
- Operate drilling machines to drill blast holes in rock at road or other construction sites
- Operate tracked or truck-mounted drill equipped with auger or other attachment to drill holes for building foundations or pilings
- May measure location and stake out pattern of holes to be drilled, load blast holes with explosives and detonate explosives to dislodge coal, ore or rock.
- Read instructions or diagrams, lay out drill pattern and determine depth and diameter of blast holes and conduct field tests to determine type and quantity of explosives required
- Assemble or direct other workers to assemble primer charges using selected detonators, fuses, detonating cords and other materials
- Load explosives in blast holes by hand or direct movement of bulk explosives trucks to load holes
- Connect electrical wires, detonating cords or fuses into series and connect series to blasting machines; press handle or button to detonate charges
- Handle, store and transport explosives and accessories in accordance with regulations and ensure that safety procedures are observed
- May operate air-track, rotary, down-the-hole or other drilling machines to drill blast holes or may direct drilling of blast holes.
St. John's, Mount Pearl, Arnold's Cove, Bay Roberts, Bishop's Cove, Carbonear, Conception Bay South, Gulch, Gull Island, Harbour Grace, North River, Spaniard's Bay, Torbay, Upper Island Cove, Wabana, Birchy Nap, Chamberlains, Codner, Doyles, Foxtrap, Goulds, Greeleytown, Kelligrews, Lance Cove, Lawrence Pond, Manuels, Newton, North Pond Heights, Peachytown, Riverdale, Talcville, Topsail, Upper Gullies
Outlook & Prospects for Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction in Avalon Peninsula Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Avalon Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- A new mini aquarium with 30 fish tanks will open in Petty Harbour on June 15 as a tourist attraction. The aquarium will be located at the Petty Harbour Fishermen's Co-op.
- According to Canada Mortgage and Housing Commission, the demand for single-detached housing units has remained strong in the St. John's metro area
- The provincial government's Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Recreation has announced $15,000 for upgrades to the Sir Robert Bond Park and area walking trails in Whitbourne
- The provincial government's Dept. of Transportation and Works announced a tender for mechanical and electrical system upgrades to the Confederation Building, East Block. The tender closes on 5 June. Work is expected to start in July.
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The provincial government's Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Recreation has announced a $15,000 grant for upgrades to the Peter Barry Duff Memorial Park in Paradise
- The Convergys call centre on Torbay Road in St. John's closed on June 30. Seventy-five of the hundred employees at the centre have the option to work from home and 25 can be placed in other positions within the company.
- The provincial government's Dept. of Municipal Affairs has awarded a $22M contract to EllisDon to develop a new double ice surface arena in Paradise. The arena is expected to be completed by September 2014.
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- A tender worth $16.7M was awarded to Pomerleau Inc. towards the construction of a new St. Teresa's school in St. John's. The school is expected to be ready for classes by September, 2014.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The only gas station on Bell Island has closed due to a dispute with the town over water tax
- The City of St. John's has awarded a contract to Magna Contracting and Management Inc. to construct a community centre in the Southlands area of St. John's. The contract is worth nearly $3M.
- The City of Mount Pearl will begin a pilot composting project to a specific area of the city in May to divert waste from the landfill. If the project is successful, it will be expanded throughout the city in 2014.
- Date Modified: