Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Janitors, caretakers and building superintendents clean and maintain the interior and exterior of commercial, institutional and residential buildings and their surrounding grounds. Building superintendents employed in large establishments are responsible for the operation of the establishment and may also supervise other workers. They are employed by office and apartment building management companies, condominium corporations, educational institutions, health care facilities, recreational and shopping facilities, religious establishments, and industrial and other establishments.
building caretaker, building superintendent, custodian, handyman/woman, heavy-duty cleaner, industrial cleaner, plant cleaner, school janitor.
- Operate industrial vacuum cleaners to remove scraps, dirt, heavy debris and other refuse
- Wash windows, interior walls and ceilings
- Empty trash cans and other waste containers
- Sweep, mop, scrub and wax hallways, floors and stairs
- Clean snow and ice from walkways and parking areas
- Cut grass and tend grounds
- Clean and disinfect washrooms and fixtures
- Make adjustments and minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing and electrical systems, and contact tradespersons for major repairs
- Perform other routine maintenance jobs such as painting and drywall repair
- May water and tend to plants
- May move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies
- Ensure that security and safety measures are in place in the establishment
- May advertise vacancies, show apartments and offices to prospective tenants and collect rent
- May supervise other workers.
St. John's, Mount Pearl, Arnold's Cove, Bay Roberts, Bishop's Cove, Carbonear, Conception Bay South, Gulch, Gull Island, Harbour Grace, North River, Spaniard's Bay, Torbay, Upper Island Cove, Wabana, Birchy Nap, Chamberlains, Codner, Doyles, Foxtrap, Goulds, Greeleytown, Kelligrews, Lance Cove, Lawrence Pond, Manuels, Newton, North Pond Heights, Peachytown, Riverdale, Talcville, Topsail, Upper Gullies
Wages for Janitors, Caretakers and Building Superintendents in Avalon Peninsula Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
|Newfoundland and Labrador||10.00||15.00||20.00||Note|
|Avalon Peninsula Region||10.00||15.10||20.00||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||10.00||14.00||18.95||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|South Coast--Burin Peninsula Region||10.00||15.00||20.00||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region||10.00||14.55||20.19||NoteLink opens in a new window|
- Date Modified: