Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Food and beverage servers take patrons' food and beverage orders and serve orders to patrons. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, bars, taverns, private clubs, banquet halls and similar establishments.
banquet server, captain waiter/waitress, chief wine steward, cocktail waiter/waitress, food and beverage server, formal service waiter/waitress, waiter/waitress, wine steward.
- Greet patrons, present menus, make recommendations and answer questions regarding food and beverages
- Take orders and relay to kitchen and bar staff
- Recommend wines that complement patrons' meals
- Serve food and beverages
- Prepare and serve specialty foods at patrons' tables
- Present bill to patrons and accept payment
- Order and maintain inventory of wines and wine glassware
- Perform sensory evaluation of wines.
St. John's, Mount Pearl, Arnold's Cove, Bay Roberts, Bishop's Cove, Carbonear, Conception Bay South, Gulch, Gull Island, Harbour Grace, North River, Spaniard's Bay, Torbay, Upper Island Cove, Wabana, Birchy Nap, Chamberlains, Codner, Doyles, Foxtrap, Goulds, Greeleytown, Kelligrews, Lance Cove, Lawrence Pond, Manuels, Newton, North Pond Heights, Peachytown, Riverdale, Talcville, Topsail, Upper Gullies
Outlook & Prospects for Food and Beverage Servers in Avalon Peninsula Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Avalon Peninsula Region||2012-02-22|
Employment prospects for Food and Beverage Servers are expected to be GOOD in 2011- 2012.
Most employees working in the food service industry are employed part-time and at the minimum wage rate, therefore, turnover is usually high. As this industry offers flexible hours, most jobs are filled with students looking to supplement their income while attending school
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- A new mini aquarium with 30 fish tanks will open in Petty Harbour on June 15 as a tourist attraction. The aquarium will be located at the Petty Harbour Fishermen's Co-op.
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The provincial government's Dept. of Municipal Affairs has awarded a $22M contract to EllisDon to develop a new double ice surface arena in Paradise. The arena is expected to be completed by September 2014.
Week of Feb 25 – Mar 01, 2013
- The Oppy's Diner restaurants in Bay Roberts and Carbonear on the Avalon Peninsula have closed permanently
Week of Dec 31 – Jan 04, 2012
- A new 8-screen theatre complex is coming to Field Power Centre, off Torbay Road in St. John's in 2013
- Date Modified: