Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Employment counsellors provide assistance, counsel and information to worker clients on all aspects of employment search and career planning. They also provide counsel and information to employer clients regarding human resource and employment issues. Employment counsellors are employed primarily by federal and provincial governments but are also employed by large establishments and private employment service agencies. Supervisors of employment counsellors are included in this unit group.
career counsellor – except education, career development consultant, career development counsellor, employment counsellor, occupational counsellor, outplacement counsellor, relocation consultant, relocation counsellor, supervisor, employment counsellors, vocational counsellor.
- Interview clients to obtain employment history, educational background and career goals
- Identify barriers to employment and assist clients with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies, writing résumés and preparing for job interviews
- Advise employers on human resource and other employment-related issues
- Administer and interpret tests designed to determine the interests, aptitudes and abilities of clients
- Assess need for assistance such as rehabilitation, financial aid or further vocational training and refer clients to the appropriate services
- Provide established workers with information on maintaining a job or moving within an organization, dealing with job dissatisfaction or making a mid-career change
- Collect labour market information for clients regarding job openings, entry and skill requirements and other occupational information
- Provide consulting services to community groups and agencies, business and industry, and to other organizations involved in providing community-based career planning resources.
St. John's, Mount Pearl, Arnold's Cove, Bay Roberts, Bishop's Cove, Carbonear, Conception Bay South, Gulch, Gull Island, Harbour Grace, North River, Spaniard's Bay, Torbay, Upper Island Cove, Wabana, Birchy Nap, Chamberlains, Codner, Doyles, Foxtrap, Goulds, Greeleytown, Kelligrews, Lance Cove, Lawrence Pond, Manuels, Newton, North Pond Heights, Peachytown, Riverdale, Talcville, Topsail, Upper Gullies
Outlook & Prospects for Employment Counsellors in Avalon Peninsula Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Avalon Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Aug 12 - Aug 16, 2013
- The provincial government unveiled the final stage for the remediation of the New Harbour landfill. PCB-affected material was removed in 2008 and in 2010, and an interim cover placed on the site. The final stage will place a permanent cap on the site.
- Newalta's industrial facility in Foxtrap will begin the first processing of drill mud in the province. The company employs 30 people and has its own subcontractors used for transports.
- Crosbie Industrial Services Ltd. will be expanding its operations at its Logy Bay Road site in St. John's by adding new equipment to treat drilling mud before sending it to a waste disposal facility
- The provincial government announced a non-repayable investment of $500,000 to Sea-Force Hyperbaric Inc. of St. John's, NL for the province's first emergency Hyperbaric Reception facility for divers during the decompression period
- Date Modified: