Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Community and social service workers administer and implement a variety of social assistance programs and community services, and assist clients to deal with personal and social problems. They are employed by social service and government agencies, mental health agencies, group homes, school boards, correctional facilities and other establishments.
Aboriginal outreach worker, addictions worker, behavioural aide, child and youth worker, community development worker, community service worker, crisis intervention worker, developmental service worker, drop-in centre worker, family service worker, financial assistance worker, group home worker, income maintenance officer – social services, life skills instructor, mental health worker, rehabilitation worker – social services, social services worker, veteran services officer, welfare and compensation officer, women's shelter supervisor, youth worker.
- Interview clients to obtain case history and background information
- Assess clients' relevant skill strengths and deficits
- Assist clients to sort out options and develop plans of action while providing necessary support and assistance
- Assist clients in locating and utilizing community resources including legal, medical and financial assistance, housing, employment, transportation, assistance with moves, day care and other referral services
- Prepare intake reports
- Counsel clients living in group homes and half-way houses, supervise their activities and assist in pre-release and release planning
- Participate in the selection and admission of clients to appropriate programs
- Assess and investigate eligibility for social benefits
- Meet with clients to assess their progress, give support and discuss any difficulties or problems
- Refer clients to other social services
- Advise and aid recipients of social assistance and pensions
- Provide crisis intervention and emergency shelter services
- Implement and organize the delivery of specific services within the community
- Implement life skills workshops, substance abuse treatment programs, behaviour management programs, youth services programs and other community and social service programs under the supervision of social services or health care professionals
- Assist in evaluating the effectiveness of treatment programs by tracking clients' behavioural changes and responses to interventions
- Maintain contact with other social service agencies and health care providers involved with clients to provide information and obtain feedback on clients' overall progress
- Co-ordinate the volunteer activities of human service agencies, health care facilities and arts and sports organizations
- Maintain program statistics for purposes of evaluation and research.
- May supervise social service support workers and volunteers.
St. John's, Mount Pearl, Arnold's Cove, Bay Roberts, Bishop's Cove, Carbonear, Conception Bay South, Gulch, Gull Island, Harbour Grace, North River, Spaniard's Bay, Torbay, Upper Island Cove, Wabana, Birchy Nap, Chamberlains, Codner, Doyles, Foxtrap, Goulds, Greeleytown, Kelligrews, Lance Cove, Lawrence Pond, Manuels, Newton, North Pond Heights, Peachytown, Riverdale, Talcville, Topsail, Upper Gullies
Jobs for Community and Social Service Workers in Avalon Peninsula Region
Job opportunities from Job Bank and contributing job sites are updated daily.
There are 3 job postings in Avalon Peninsula Region.
|Date Posted||Job Title||Employer||Location||Source|
|2013-12-06||Child and Youth Worker||Blue sky Child Youth Family Care||
|2013-11-07||Youth Services Worker||Choices for Youth||
Where to look for job opportunities
Job postings can be found in many places: on the Internet, on community bulletin boards, at job fairs or in newspaper
help wanted sections.
Information about available work is often circulated through managers, employees and business associates, as well as through family, friends and acquaintances. Networking Link opens in a new window is one of the best ways to search for jobs.
RSS job search feed
Subscribe to the Canada¿s National Job Bank's RSS job search feedLink opens in a new window and receive automatic job posting updates for the location and occupation you have selected.
- Date Modified: