Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Southern Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Southern Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-09-12|
Currently the chances of qualified Labourers in Metal Fabrication finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area. Employment potential is fair locally because, although there is a wide spectrum of manufacturing industries that employ this position, the workforce remains stable with a potential supply of labour usually able to fulfil the industry's demands. The South Shore area saw a general improvement in the overall manufacturing sector in 2010.
In addition to employment opportunities locally, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Labourers in Metal Fabrication (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- The aquatic centre at the Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre has suffered construction delays, and its planned November opening has been moved to at least late winter. The arena in the complex opened this fall, and the library is expected to do the same in the coming weeks.
- A new clothing store, KBS Fashionable Treasures, has opened on Main Street in Liverpool
- Seafood processing company Bluewave Seafoods Inc. of Port Mouton has filed for creditor protection and its future is uncertain. The plant employs 70 full and part-time employees.
- Lange¿s Rock Farm of Maplewood has obtained a $499,990 contract to complete one of the phases of the seawall on the Northwest Arm in the Halifax Regional municipality
- Despite the closure of the Bowater-Mersey paper mill18 months ago, a number of new businesses have sprung up on Main Street in Liverpool and in other parts of Queens County. They include restaurants, clothing stores, an insurance company, and an aromatherapy and massage business.
- Local harbour improvement projects, which will include construction and repair of wharves and harbour dredging, have been announced by the federal government for Pinkney¿s Point, Meteghan, Wedgeport, and Saulnierville
- Repair and renovation work on the historic Cox Warehouse in Shelburne will begin soon, with a roofing contract awarded to On Shore Construction. Work on the rest of the building will be completed by the spring of 2014.
- A $7.5M renovation project continues at the Bridgewater Mall. New tenants include Dollarama, Sport Chek, Leon¿s Furniture, Mark¿s, and Winners, and most will be open for business during the winter of 2014.
- Date Modified: