Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers who assist elementary and secondary school teachers and counsellors. They are employed in public and private elementary and secondary schools, special schools and treatment centres.
educational assistant, educational resources assistant, lunch room supervisor, program assistant, education, secondary school teacher's assistant, special education assistant, staff assistant, education, teacher's aide, teacher's assistant.
- Assist students with lessons under direct supervision of classroom teacher
- Monitor and report to classroom teacher on student progress
- Assist in preparation of learning materials and environment
- Accompany and supervise students during activities in school gymnasiums, laboratories, libraries, resource centres and on field trips
- Assist special needs students, such as those with mental or physical disabilities, with mobility, communication and personal hygiene
- Prepare classroom displays and bulletin boards
- Operate or assist teacher in operation of projectors, tape recorders and other audio-visual equipment and office equipment such as photocopier, fax machine and computer
- Carry out behaviour modification, personal development and other therapeutic programs under supervision of professionals such as special education instructors, psychologists or speech-language pathologists
- Work with special needs students using techniques such as sign language, Bliss symbols or Braille
- Monitor students during recess, at noon hour or during the day
- May assist with marking of tests and worksheets
- Assist with classroom inventory
- Assist in school library or office and perform other duties assigned by school principal.
Wages for Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Assistants in Southern Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
Due to data limitations, the wage for this occupation cannot be published. Please refer to the wage published for this occupation at the provincial or territorial level.
- Date Modified: