Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Mining engineers plan, design, organize and supervise the development of mines, mine facilities, systems and equipment; and prepare and supervise the extraction of metallic or non-metallic minerals and ores from underground or surface mines. Mining engineers are employed by mining companies, consulting engineering companies, manufacturers, government and in educational and research institutions.
mine design engineer, mine development engineer, mine layout engineer, mine production engineer, mine safety engineer, mine ventilation engineer, mineral engineer, mining engineer.
- Conduct preliminary surveys and studies of ore, mineral or coal deposits to assess the economic and environmental feasibility of potential mining operations
- Determine the appropriate means of safely and efficiently mining deposits
- Determine and advise on appropriate drilling and blasting methods for mining, construction or demolition
- Design shafts, ventilation systems, mine services, haulage systems and supporting structures
- Design, develop and implement computer applications such as for mine design, mine modelling, mapping or for monitoring mine conditions
- Plan and design or select mining equipment and machinery and mineral treatment machinery and equipment in collaboration with other engineering specialists
- Plan, organize and supervise the development of mines and mine structures and the operation and maintenance of mines
- Prepare operations and project estimates, schedules and reports
- Implement and co-ordinate mine safety programs
- Supervise and co-ordinate the work of technicians, technologists, survey personnel, and other engineers and scientists.
Outlook & Prospects for Mining Engineers in Southern Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Currently there is a limited chance of Mining Engineers finding work in the local area as there are very few if any workers in this occupation.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Mining Engineers in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Mining Engineers (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Delmar Construction will begin work in the next few months on a major expansion of the Nakile Home for Special Care in Yarmouth County. The work will take 18 months to complete, and will result in seven new positions.
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Mid Valley Construction will begin work in May on the new Islands Health centre in Freeport on Digby Neck. The centre is expected to be completed in the fall.
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- General maintenance will take place at Shelburne Ship Repair on the passenger ferry MS Grand Manan over the next four weeks, employing 25 people
- Major renovations and additions will be carried out by Delmar Construction of Yarmouth on the Clarks Harbour Elementary School over the next couple of years
- Muwin Estate Wines Ltd. of New Ross, which has seven employees, will expand its facilities to lower its production costs and better serve its growing list of clients
- Date Modified: