Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Workers in this unit group prepare meat and poultry for further processing, for packaging or for marketing. They are employed in meat and poultry slaughtering, processing and packing establishments.
beef boner, ham cutter, industrial butcher, industrial meat cutter, meat trimmer, poultry preparer, slaughterer.
- Industrial butchers slaughter livestock using stunning devices and knives; skin, clean and trim carcasses; remove viscera and other inedible parts from carcasses; split carcasses into smaller portions to facilitate handling; and may slaughter cattle, calves and sheep as prescribed by religious laws.
- Industrial meat cutters cut beef, lamb, pork or veal carcasses or sides or quarters of carcasses into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging; remove bones from meat; and cut meat and poultry into specific cuts for institutional, commercial or other wholesale use.
- Poultry preparers slaughter poultry and remove inedible parts; remove feathers and singe and wash poultry to prepare for further processing or packaging.
- Trimmers remove skin, excess fat, bruises or other blemishes from carcasses or meat portions.
Outlook & Prospects for Industrial Butchers and Meat Cutters, Poultry Preparers and Related Workers in Fredericton--Oromocto
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
According to the most recent (2006) Census, this is a small occupational group with a labour force of 50, and an unemployment rate (0%) that is below the average (8%) for all occupations in the area.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- The $39 million expansion of the Kingswood Golf Resort outside Frederiction has received planning approval. Work is expected to begin on a hotel component in June. The expansion also includes an indoor water park and a residential development.
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The provincial government has announced that it will close the Agriculture Laboratory Service in Fredericton. The agricultural laboratory which provides soil testing for New Brunswick farmers will close on June 28. The laboratory has been in operations for 80 years and is located on the grounds of the experimental farm in Lincoln.
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- A job fair will be held in Fredericton on April 30th at the Delta Hotel for job seekers interested in working in Western Canada. Seven companies will be represented at the fair.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- According to a building activity report released by the City of Fredericton development committee, overall construction activity in the first quarter of this year increased to $17.6M compared to $16.9M during the same period last year. It was also reported to be the highest first quarter construction value since 2008.
- The Minister of Health for the province of New Brunswick announced that roughly 400 jobs in the health-care system would be eliminated in the next year in an attempt to control spending. Horizon Health Network will cut 131 positions this fiscal year. 57 jobs will be cut at Facilicorp and 40 positions will be eliminated at the Department of Health itself. More job cuts are expected to be announced later this year.
- Shannex Inc. has received final approval to proceed with the construction of an 80-unit luxury retirement complex at 35 Patience Lane in Fredericton
- Date Modified: