Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers who operate vehicles and equipment to maintain streets, highways and sewer systems and operate garbage trucks to remove garbage and refuse. They are employed by municipal, provincial and federal public works departments and by private contractors under contract with government public works departments.
garbage truck driver, municipal maintenance equipment operator, public works maintenance equipment operator, salt truck operator, sand spreader operator, sanitation truck driver, sewer flusher operator-driver – public works, sewer-flushing truck operator, snow removal equipment operator – public works, street flusher operator, street sweeper operator, street sweeper operator – public works.
- Operate garbage trucks to remove garbage and other refuse and dump loads at designated sites
- Operate street cleaning equipment such as street sweepers or other vehicles equipped with rotating brushes to remove sand, litter and trash
- Operate snowploughs or trucks fitted with plough blades to remove snow from streets, highways, parking lots and similar areas
- Operate sewer maintenance equipment such as rodders and sewer jet cleaners to maintain and repair sewer systems
- Operate trucks equipped with road sanding and other similar apparatus
- Check, lubricate, refuel and clean equipment and report any malfunctions to supervisor.
Outlook & Prospects for Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators in Fredericton--Oromocto
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
According to the most recent (2006) Census, this is a small occupational group with a labour force of 70, and an unemployment rate (0%) that is below the average (8%) for all occupations in the area. Also, the average age of Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators is 43, which is above the average age (40) of all occupations.
According to the most recent Canadian Occupational Projection System (COPS) Forecast, the average annual employment growth rate for this occupation is above the average for all occupations in New Brunswick. Many of the jobs in this occupation can be found in these main industries: 1) Construction and 2) Management, Administrative and Other Support.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Oct 29 – Nov 02, 2012
- Date Modified: