Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Urban and land use planners develop plans and recommend policies for managing land use, physical facilities and associated services for urban and rural areas and remote regions. They are employed by all levels of government, land developers, engineering and other consulting companies or may work as private consultants.
city planner, community and urban planner, environmental planner, land use planner, long-range planner, municipal planner, park planner, planner, planning analyst, recreation planner, regional planner, urban planner.
- Compile and analyze data on demographic, economic, legal, political, cultural, sociological, physical and other factors affecting land use
- Confer with municipal, provincial and federal authorities, civic leaders, social scientists, lawyers, land developers, the public and special interest groups to formulate and develop land use or community plans
- Prepare and recommend land development concepts and plans for zoning, subdivisions, transportation, public utilities, community facilities, parks, agricultural and other land uses
- Prepare plans for environmental protection, such as wildlife preserves, national and provincial parks, and protection of watersheds
- Present plans to civic, rural and regional authorities and hold public meetings to present plans, proposals or planning studies to the general public and special interest groups
- Review and evaluate proposals for land use and development plans and prepare recommendations
- Process application for land development permits and administer land use plans and zoning by-laws
- Formulate long-range objectives and policies relative to future land use and the protection of the environment
- Supervise and co-ordinate work of urban planning technicians and technologists.
Outlook & Prospects for Urban and Land Use Planners in Fredericton--Oromocto
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
According to the most recent (2006) Census, this is a small occupational group with a labour force of 25, and an unemployment rate (0%) that is below the average (8%) for all occupations in the area. Also, the average age of urban and land use planners is 48, which is above the average age (40) of all occupations.
According to the most recent Canadian Occupational Projection System (COPS) Forecast, the average annual employment growth rate for this occupation is below the average for all occupations in New Brunswick. Many of the jobs in this occupation can be found in the Public Administration industry.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 10 - Feb 14, 2014
- Blue Spurs, a Fredericton-based software development company, will create 95 new jobs, with the help of a payroll rebate from the province. The job will include software engineers, specialists and analysts, and business development and sales professionals. The company often hires graduates of local universities and colleges.
- The military base in Gagetown will hire about 50 additional civilian workers. Despite budget restriction in the Canadian Forces, the base in Gagetown remains a very busy training centre.
- Passenger traffic at the Fredericton International Airport was up by nearly 5.5% in 2013 over 2012, a new record. The Airport Authority says the 297,867 passengers are well beyond the 200,000 passengers the facility was designed for, and sees a need for future expansion.
- Marwood Ltd., a wood-processing company in Tracy, near Fredericton, is building a wood-scanning and optimizing plant, which will create 20 full-time jobs at the plant and 20 jobs during the construction phase
- Maritime Fibre & Energy has been operating a lumber mill on the site of the former M.L. Wilkins and Sons sawmill outside Fredericton over the past few months, and has gradually hired 25 people. The mill had closed in 2007, but the new owners expect growth in the U.S. housing market will lead to more demand.
- Date Modified: