Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Cooks prepare and cook a wide variety of foods. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, hospitals and other health care institutions, central food commissaries, educational institutions and other establishments. Cooks are also employed aboard ships and at construction and logging campsites. Apprentice cooks are included in this unit group.
apprentice cook, cook, dietary cook, first cook, grill cook, hospital cook, institutional cook, journeyman/woman cook, licensed cook, line cook, second cook, short order cook.
- Prepare and cook complete meals or individual dishes and foods
- Prepare and cook special meals for patients as instructed by dietitian or chef
- Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment
- May set up and oversee buffets
- May clean kitchen and work area
- May plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies.
- May hire and train kitchen staff
Cooks may specialize in preparing and cooking ethnic cuisine or special dishes.
Outlook & Prospects for Cooks in Edmundston--Woodstock Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Edmundston--Woodstock Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-05-11|
Currently the chances of qualified Cooks finding employment are considered to be good in the local area.
Job opportunities in this occupation are mostly found in these industries: 1) accommodation and food services; and 2) health care and social assistance. The main reason employment prospects are considered good is that although few jobs have been created, there will be many job openings in the region because of a high rate of employee turnover in this occupation. The high number of job openings posted over the last year in the Edmundston-Woodstock region demonstrates this. In the next few years, openings will be created by the need to fill positions left by cooks who are retiring or who have been promoted to a chef position. The region has a large fast food sector. There are also many restaurants affiliated with major chains and some ethnic restaurants.
Employment opportunities for Cooks may vary in different communities across the province. You may want to check for specific opportunities in your community. Also, people who are able to work elsewhere may want to research the opportunities for this occupation in other areas of NB or in other provinces across the country.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Sep 30 - Oct 04, 2013
- The new family restaurant Station 127 will open in mid-October in the former La Praga restaurant building in downtown Edmundston. The restaurant is expected to employ 20 people.
- A Burger King restaurant will open in the spring of 2014 at the Grey Rock Power Centre next to the Trans Canada highway near Edmundston. The Grey Rock Power Centre is currently in development. A gaming centre is under construction and a service station and restaurant are already in operation at the commercial centre.
- After having acquired the former Le Bel-Air restaurant, Edmundston entrepreneurs Normand Levesque and Keta Ringuette have now acquired the former La Praga Hotel and Restaurant. The couple plans to open by the end of the year a restaurant and bar at the Le Bel-Air building and a hotel at the La Praga location.
- The government of Canada is investing $385,000 in tourism infrastructure in the town of Florenceville-Bristol
- Date Modified: